Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dynamo E 3LM rotation

The dynamo on the bench (wires connected) with a drill anti-clockwise (arrow) gives enough Volts. So far so good. But mounted in place the rotation is clockwise looking from the drive end. So when the drill also clockwise there is about -0,2 V.
Help !!!!
By the way, the field coil gives 2,2 Ohms

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: dynamo E 3LM rotation

i am not sure whether all dynamos have them but some dynamos had an arrow stamped on the body showing direction of rotation

I said allready, that mine has an arrow. The point is, mounted on the mag, the rotation is opposite.

John

To change rotation swap over the field coil wires.

Thank you Ian, but the rotation is caused by the Magdyno pinion. Rotation of this part is anti clockwise. So therefor the rotation of the dynamo is clockwise looking from the drive end. Opposite the arrow direction. Nothing to do with wires.

John

I just solved it.

Thanks

John

Sometimes when the field coil is replaced the coil is put in the opposite way round. The writing on the body should be read from the drive end. This is what can confuse some people. Dont ask me how I found out.

sorry john should should read things properly

I do realise, belive it or not that the direction of rotation is govened by the way it is driven,but if the dynamo is off of a bike that trove it the other way then using it on a mag dyno would result with no output unless the field wires were reversed.

Absolutely correct Ian..the dynamo can produce current running in either direction if wired appropriately. This frequently requires altering after a dynamo is rebuilt to suit the application. Markings on the body can become irrelevant if the unit was not original fitment for that machine and/or it has been rebuilt, in which case it will not necessarily function as intended...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

All right Ian and Ian, I will try it. Thank for the input. I hope to get output.

John

Nieuwe pagina 1