Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reflective gear

I wrote to my rep in the European Parliament, Wim van de Camp, and got this reply:

Dear Mr. Muller,
I am working for FEMA, we represent motorcyclist associations in Europe, like the MAG from the Netherlands. Yesterday I have met with Wim van de Camp, the Dutch Member of the European Parliament. He showed me the email you have sent him on 19th January. Wim told me that, like you, he is not a supporter of mandating motorcyclists to wear a fluorescent jacket, making us look like “papegaaien”. If such a law was coming from Brussels, Wim promised to oppose it.

Since Wim is not aware of the situation in France, therefore he asked me to answer you. If I understood correctly, you are enthusiasts of the motorcycles used in World War 2. On http://www.wdbsa.nl/Henk.htm I saw pictures of you on the old machines riding down to Normandie wearing the original uniforms. Of course it would be ridiculous if you had to wear any fluorescent yellow vest in addition.

The French motorcycle organisation FFMC has informed us that, due to its massive protests, the French government has decided to drop the idea of yellow jackets. Instead, riders will have to wear fluorescent armbands as from 2013. Since there are presidential elections this year in France (and therefore maybe a new President), FFMC is hoping that the law will not come into force at all. For information see: http://www.fema-online.eu/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=275&cntnt01returnid=15

I have put Nico Perk from MAG Netherlands into copy, he should have all the information available if and how the Dutch government is handling the topic of yellow jackets.

I also put Frederic Jeorge of FFMC in copy, he might know if there will be any exemptions for veteran riders and memorial runs.

Ride free,
Philip
--
Philip Vogt
Campaigns & Communication Officer
Federation of European Motorcyclists Associations
Rue des Champs 62
1040 Brussels, Belgium
Mobile: +32485146360
Tel.: +3227369047
Fax: +3227369401
p.vogt@fema-online.eu
www.fema-online.eu

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Reflective gear

Bloody Good Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That IS a good reply, and reiterates that individual lobbying CAN sometimes produce good results. Of course there are no guarantees, but doing nothing is a guarantee of defeat.

Petitions help. Occasionally demos help. But INDIVIDUALLY written letters can sometimes have a huge impact on the thinking of bureaucrats. It largely comes down to weight of numbers.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

papegaaien, parakeit or parrot? a good description of everyone in a vest.

Excellent, sombodys on our side, By the Way the French WILL enforce the armbands/jackets,. as they have as many a brit will tell you,regarding the carrying of flor, jackets in the car, andrew. h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

to all you riders with young children you can not use their inflatable swimming arm bands to ride you motorcycle in 2013

HMm, Air bags on the arms ? andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

For general interest...The area of hi viz required by the French is 150 square centimeters or 23.23 square inches. An armband worn on the upper arm would be approx. 16" long. Rounding the (area) figure up to 24 square inches and taking the length into account an armband 16" x 1.5" wide would marginally exceed the requirements of the French law as it stands, producing an area of 24 square inches or 154.8 square centimeters...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

what about the banderlier type hi vis you used to see lots of touring riders wearing them they dont seem to be popular now days when i first started riding my modern bike i could'nt find one that fitted round my motorcycle jacket

Nieuwe pagina 1