Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Its only a small problem!

where would I be without this wonderful resource? Well just as I thought I was on the home straight I have encontered a little problem. Take a look at the photo and you will see that my rear wheel spindle has been altered to pull straight through by being tightened from the off side I assume. Problem is that the nut in the photo has no thread left in it and therefore I assume that the spindle is pulled up and tightens on both frame lugs. Except that it doesnt clamp the left hand frame lug enough when its tightened up on the other side. As it is arranged by turning the nut on the nearside this operates the chain snail cam which is a good thing ( have I got the cam in the right place?) I assume the spacer inside the drum is stopping the spindle being pulled up tight. Anyway, greater brains than me will tell me where I am going wrong. I hope.

Photobucket

maybe I am making the wrong assumptions here. Perhaps the nut on the left hand side still needs to be able to be tightened onto the spacer in spite of the other modification, hence do I need a new nut as a minimum?

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Its only a small problem!

Hi Andrew..The large nut in your photo secures (or should) the brake drum/ sprocket assembly to the frame on that side. The spindle passes through the stub axle, drum, hub and offside wheel spacer and is secured by the nut on the other side of the bike. This arrangement enables the 'QD' set up to function...when the nut on the offside, spindle, spacer and 3 bolts into the rear of the drum are removed the wheel itself can then be removed, leaving the drum, sprocket and brake plate still in place..secured by that nut.
The spindle has two 'lugs' under the head that engage with the slots in the stub axle on assembly..these allow the rear chain to be adjusted by turning the stub axle and the cam mounted on it, when the offside spindle nut, nearside drum retaining nut and rear brake torque arm nut (on the brakeplate) have been slackened. Adjustment is then made by turning the wheel spindle head..which should have a hexagonal form.
If chain adjustment is attempted after slackening the offside spindle nut only and not the nearside drum nut the force applied in an attempt to turn the stub axle with the drum nut still tightened tends to 'spread' the slot in the stub axle...Then, when the drum nut is removed the opened out end of the stub axle takes the thread out of the nut.
So, you need a new nearside nut..you need to check the thread on the stub axle..if that is worn it should also be replaced. If the thread is OK you have to close in the opened out ends and/or clean them up on a lathe to ensure thier outside diameter is less than the internal diameter of the nut.
Also you need a wheel spindle with the correct hexagon head. It may be possible to repair the old one properly..if not a replacement will be needed as well....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Andrew. The snail cam should be situated so that it stretches the chain in an anti clock rotation. So yours looks right to me. If the threads are gone in your N/S nut, then buy a new one. Likewise if the spindle is knackered, you can buy a new one from Draganfly. Although I bought one from them and it was a bit to long for some reason and I chopped about an inch off it. Ron

Edit:- PS Ian. Typing together.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ian and Ron, fantastic, couldnt be better explained thank you for that. And you are quite right the thread has been ripped out by the spreading of the stub axle. I will have to check that thread to see whether I need a new stub axle as well. Its a while since I built up the rear wheel and when I tried to remove the brake plate and shoes it seemed to be stuck! Since I didnt, at that stage need to remove it i didnt but are they prone to sticking into the main hub? I think it may be worth my while buying a new sub axle, but hope Dragans is correct, maybe Russels have them as well. Perfect thanks a lot . Just got the gearchange problem and dragging clutch to sort out and I will be home and dry!!

Hi Andrew..If you have a dragging clutch fixing that may well sort out the gearchange problem. Check out the technical section of the website...I have written a fairly detailed piece on clutch problems and solutions. The shoes aren't prone to 'sticking' in the drum at all once the bike is in use..they have probably got like that with standing for a long period..Possibly you may have to remove some material from the shoes (if they are new) to increase the clearance slightly. Whether that is needed will become clear when you connect and adjust the rear brake...Ian

Andrew, you're not on your own. That's exactly how I found my rear spindle at the weekend!

thanks Ian, I was hoping I was ready to attend to the clutch issues but then found this problem with the rear spindle. Not a problem just need to await some new bits and off we go. Lee , it must be a regular fault with these old girls, anyway should be ok eventually. I had read your article on the clutch and will be getting stuck into that , rather hoping that the clutch does not need to come apart again! I did not fit new plates as they did not look bad, were not hooked on the cage , but there was a bit of waggle on the clutch itself. What I do have is a bit too much play on the cable, so I need to adjust the operating arm to start with. Do I need to take it out of the casing to loosen the lock nut? It does not look like it can be turned when its in position

Hi Andrew..Damage to the rear wheel spindle and associated parts is common...Anyone unfamiliar with the set up and without the correct instructions to hand stands a good chance of doing something wrong during chain adjustment or wheel removal.
If you disconnect the clutch cable from the operating arm and pivot it outwards you can access the locknut to make adjustments. It should have a 3/16 whit size hexagon with the outer face counter drilled slightly and a 1/4" cycle adjustment screw, with a screwdriver slot, going through the center....Ian

I think the reason the spindle and stub axle sometimes become damaged is because a socket and long bar are attached to the spindle hex before the axle nuts are loosened. It is quite a unique set up and the sequence for adjusting the rear chain as described in the handbook should be read through thoroughly. Ron

Edit,Typing together again Ian.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

why didnt I think of that! I think thats the dullest question I have asked on here so far. Sorry about that!

I will carefully read the section in question Ron. cheers

one last thing please. I think I can dress the spigot thread as Dragans are out of stock anyway. Can anyone tell me what thread and tpi it is please? I am assuming its BCY which would be 26 tpi?

Nieuwe pagina 1