Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reply from MEP re the hi viz

I just got this reply from one of the four MEP's I emailed.

Dear Mr Pier

Thank you for your email of 20th January 2012.

Within the European Union there are currently proposals being discussed regarding motorbikes which would have required riders in Britain, as well as the other 26 nations, to wear reflective clothing at all times when on their bike. I do not believe that this reflective clothing should be mandatory and therefore my Conservative colleagues and I successfully stopped this going through; unfortunately, France has decided to introduce this law in its own country anyway.

As a sovereign nation France has every right to enact laws within their own shores as long as they do not discriminate between French nationals and foreigner nationals; as this is the case here there is nothing I can do to assist you further.

If there is anything else I can help with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards
Ashley Fox MEP

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Reply from MEP re the hi viz

Hi Ron, that's a good result. Although your MEP has said he's unable to affect the French decision, it's STILL a useful reply.

It reaffirms both his support, and Tory support, and it reminds him that there are still motorcyclists who care about this issue.

All that's needed is many, many more letters or emails from bikers to this MEP, and other MEPs. It really does make a difference.

You might consider passing the email onto MAG Central Office.

central-office@mag-uk.org

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

OK Danny I just sent it to MAG.

Ron

Thanks, Ron

Here is a follow up email I just sent to Mr Fox. Ron

Dear Mr Fox.
Thank you for your response and concern regarding my dilemma. I am a member of a military motorcycle group who regularly ride at the D Day commemorations in Normandy. We ride in period dress to create an effect that is nostalgic to veterans and portrays an original image to the general public. All to be spoilt by the mandatory wearing of a modern Hi viz vest.
I appreciate you can't over turn the French law. But maybe some pressure can be added for some exceptions.

Regards Ron.

Danny, if you like, please copy my reply from my MP and send that to MAG, I haven't received a reply from the second letter yet.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thanks for the offer, Dave, but I wouldn't want to take away all the fun you can have sending the email for yourself.

Here is the next reply from my friendly MEP. Ron

Dear Mr Pier

Thank you for your reply of 23rd January 2012.

I was unaware of the specific nature of your riding on the continent but having received your subsequent reply I do believe this is worthy of trying to get an exception made for your group.

With your permission I would like to write to the following people to raise your issue:

Bernard Emié – French Ambassdaor to the United Kingdom
Sir Peter Ricketts – British Ambassador to France
Rt Hon David Lidington MP – Minister for Europe
Andrew Robathan MP – Minister for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans

Please confirm you would like me to do this on your behalf.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Ashley

Now that's a friendly MEP Conservative or Labour or LibDem?

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Conservative, and Ron's reply underlines the fact that individual lobbying can produce good results.

Politicians in power have to be nice to Ron, in the event of a national emergency, they're relying on him to equip a motorcycle reconnaissance battalion !

I've been scouring the net looking for someone to write to. I'm no longer on the UK electoral roll and can't do much over here either.

It seems to me that the best thing to do is to threaten to hit the French in the portefeuille. I've holidayed in France four times over the last five years and it seems that tourism and transport come under the same ministry. Not surprisingly though, they don't seem to give out contact names and adresses.

Have any of the motorcycling organisations got a contact in France who could advise how to get in touch with the relevant department ?

In some respects, it's already too late for the French. I've sworn that I'm not going to use their letters again.

I received another email from my local MP today, he basically said he wasn't aaware of the full facts but has emailed the house of commons library to get them to give him the full facts who didn't have the information so he has got them to email the DfT and find out the full picture and they will email him back towards the end of week and he will forward the email to me. I'll give my MP his due, he is actually trying to find out.

Still waiting for a reply from my MP.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

do'nt know what all the worrying is about if i know the french they will not bother whether to wear or not wear and the french police will not bother like the british police 2 thirds of them will not even know about the law it will be only when you have had an accident the insurance companies will be bothered whether you were or were not wearing one and how faded it is(sorry sir your insurance is invalid due to you hi vis jacket being more than a week old)

I just had a reply from my MP Frank Field, who has done exactly what he said he would (got back to me today) after previous emails from late last week and early this week, this was his reply from the house of commons.

Dear Dave Plumb,

The Library have now come back to me to confirm that the UK Government have no plans to introduce similar requirements for high-visibility clothing here. It is a domestic issue and not one the EU could influence.

You may also be interested to know that the Department for Transport are also due to publish imminently a guide on European road rules which should be of great help to those who use foreign roads regularly.

With best wishes,

Frank

Nieuwe pagina 1