Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chain Guard rear imount details help please

Can someone with a late WM20 with factory fitted rear rack and panniers please tell me whether there is a spacer on the rear mounting for the mudguard and chainguard upper? So on my near side I have a stud on the rear of the frame by the axle spindle slot. This mounts the stays for the rear mudguard and rear rack as well as the upper chainguard. However on tightening this all up it seems that I may have misplaced a spacer. Can anyone clarify what goes on this stud please? thanks

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Chain Guard rear imount details help please

Hi Andrew..The field stand spring clip mounting plate with the clip mounted to it are the parts that are missing from your list. The clip is mounted on a small plate and the plate fits over the stud. The clip mounting plate is approx. 1/4" thick....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
Hi Andrew..
The clip mounting plate is approx. 1/4" thick....Ian

Actually, 4.2mm
Total length 56mm, width 25.4mm (must be 1"...), one hole 8.2 mm and the other 10 mm. Offset about 5 mm.

Field stand  clip mounting plate 1, Field stand  clip mounting plate 1

Field stand  clip mounting plate 2, Field stand  clip mounting plate 2

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

thanks very much guys. This would make sense, after reading your replies and much searching I have found this photo of what was there before. So now I need to get this part and a side stand? Anyone please?

You are all a great help

Photobucket

Hi Hans..The plate only has one bend in it. This turns the field stand clip to the same angle as the stand lies when in the upward position.
In other words it turns the clip so that it is at 90 degrees to the raised stand leg, to ease engagement with the clip and for the clip to grasp the leg correctly once engaged...Ian

Hey, funny! I always thought mine was original! Came with the bike, but from Egypt, so...
How much bend do you suggest?

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Hi Hans..I don't have one off a bike to measure the angle...The key thing is that the clip, when mounted to the plate, lies at 90 degrees to the stand leg (when the stand is in its raised position)
When the stand is clipped into position the stand leg lies at an angle relative to the fore and aft centerline of the bike..it is that angle you are after....hope that makes sense...Ian

As I scan the forum daily, it never fails that I come across some pertinent detail that would have me scratching my head sometime in the near future.This post is case in point, I got a clip and bracket from Henk but seems like my stud is too short to fit it in place. Thanks to all of you for filling in the blanks before I even know what's missing.
Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

I know what you mean Vincent...I came across an original photo many moons ago showing an M20 with a modification in this area. Frustratingly, I have never been able to find that picture again so I'm unable to provide the 'evidence'.
However, the mod. entailed the shortening of the vertical mudguard stay on that side..which was then bolted to the chainguard mounting bracket.
Many original M20 chainguards have a hole in the chainguard bracket in the appropriate position for this. The result is more space on the stud for the clip bracket.
Questions are, was this done for a short period after the introduction of panniers and the relocation of the clip, was the stud length altered at any point and why aren't there more photos of bikes equipped this way?. Also, there don't seem to be any changes to the part numbers for the rear mudguard stays, though I haven't been through every parts list.
It's an odd one...if it was a 'one off' modification why do the chainguards have the hole in them?...Ian

Just to complicate this subject a bit more, I am not sure that fitting this clip will "use up" all the spare stud that I have so to speak. I think I would need a couple of washers as well to stop the nut getting to the end of its thread before tightening up. Anyway, I will put a spacer there for the time being as i dont have a side stand yet.

Hi Andrew..What about the pannier support tubes that also fit to these studs...do you have those?...Ian

Here is a general shot of what has been discussed. Chain guard, mud guard stays, pannier support tube and the bracket that the field stand clip attaches which has a banana bend in it, all on that stud. You can even see the hole in the chain guard bracket that Ian mentioned. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

hi Ian, yes I do have the pannier supports. I will try to get a photo and you can see what you think is going on.

Nieuwe pagina 1