Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rearmudguard

wath is the different for a rearmudguard with or without a rib the age maybe ? Gr Theo

email (option): indian@inter.nl.net

Re: rearmudguard

Hi Theo..The rear mudguard without the rib was introduced late in the war (and continued until the end of girder fork models in 47). The front one remained ribbed throughout...I think mid 1944 was the change date for the rear but would have to check to come up with a definitive date...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Theo

my understanding is there were 3 different mudguards fitted to WD M20
Early models 1939 - 1940 had a valanced type which featured a ribbed centre and sides (Valances)

Mid war types 1940/41 had the ribbed guard but no sides

Later war types late 1943 ~ had a flat section guard fitted til the end of production - no rib as I'm sure it helped to eliminate another production process

As many earlier bikes were repaired due to accidents, breakage etc, these ended up with later type guards

someone on this site will have very accurate dates and contract details where changes took place,so will be better able to advise you

Best Regards

JO'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

look on the Optical info and then electrical theres a pic of a 1941 bike and it looks like it has non ribbed mudguard,
my late 1940 bike has the non ribbed guard and it also has the original brass contract plate on it, the guard needed major repair, but i kept it and fixed it cos the way i se it its original to the bike and its not some pattern crap.
thanks barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Anyone know which type rear guard should be fitted to a civillian 1950 ZM20 ?.The one I have fitted is a a ribbed type this has been on the bike for the 35 yrs I have owned it. Dave.

Hi Dave..That is the right mudguard for a 'Z' prefixed bike. The ribbed type was refitted with the introduction of Tele forks in 48....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, thats good news I only need a proper front frame loop to replace the YM20 one that is fitted, this also has been fitted for at least 30yrs with tele forks with no problem but would like to put the old girl back to standard..Dave...

Why did they persist with a ribbed front one then.Never understood their thinking?

Yes that's odd, Norton did exactly the same thing.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I'd suspect strength and rigidty in the less well-supported front guards. The free end would probably vibrate around a lot.

The rib / channel was also supposed to help with water / mud clearance. I don't believe it though. The slightest bit of heavy going and the front tyre jams up with mud and takes the whole lot sideways !

Nieuwe pagina 1