Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Timing Gear cluster - M20

Hi All

does anyone have a complete timing gear cluster for sale they could bring to either next Kempton Park or the Military event at Warwick

Timing gears and holder assembly - I call it a cluster, maybe it has a BSA technical name ?

Can you please let me know price also

many Thanks

Jo'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Timing Gear cluster - M20

Hi John...If you mean the cams, intermediate gear, crankshaft pinion and mag drive gear (and tappets and guides, cam spindles, intermediate gear spindle?) I would think you will have to source these seperately from whoever has the various parts.
It is likely that the only people who might hold it all are Russell Motors.
Also fitting everything new is not necessarily entirely straightforward (but might be!). From my own experience of NOS parts I am pretty sure they were 'selectively assembled' originally..so even with new parts you can run into problems with correct clearances between the gear teeth...It is also critical when fitting new components that your flywheel assembly is set up to, or preferably within, the .002" limit stipulated by BSA for mainshaft concentricity. If the crank is even marginally over these limits the cam gears will NOT run with a correct clearance in relation to a new crankshaft pinion....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

'selectively assembled' is indeed what they did in that Triumph movie I have from the 1950's. Funny to see that it's all done by experience, no torque wrench around at the triumph factory, not even for the big-ends.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Ian

Its the intermediate gears and the plate assy that holds them all together I need

I have a NOS M21 bottom end / flywheels and want to build it into a WD bottom end I picked up recently. I'm missing those bits to complete that side of the motor

I have new cams, tappets fitted etc all look good to go from my side

JO'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1