Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad gear changes!

Hello to all,a new M20 owner with a problem,no matter how carefull I try, gear selection when coming down the box is awefull,neutral is only possible when coming to rest not stationary,crunching badly is the order of the day.The clutch is in good condition and adjusted as recommended.it does not drag or slip, the bike is a civilian 1946 model,come to think of it 1st crunchs and sometimes all selection is lost for a while, any comments appreciated, thank you.

email (option): woodlands418@btinternet.com

Re: Bad gear changes!

Still sounds like it's dragging.Every second brit bike suffers from this if not correctly setup.

What type of clutch do you have? the single spring type can normally be sorted, the six spring type is best off in the bin!

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

if it's a single spring clutch if you have the full set of plates remove 1 steel and 1 friction plate it cured my problem selects first gear stationary like silk

Hi Colin..You certainly need to be absolutely satisfied that the clutch is operating correctly before delving into the gearbox. If it is there are numerous aspects within the gearbox which can have an adverse effect on the selection of gears..
Worn bushes, selector forks and dogs, worn parts in the gearchange selector assembly, incorrect setting of the selector tie rod/selector dogs and incorrect shimming of the gearbox shafts.
If you are looking at the clutch check the gearbox mainshaft (which the clutch is mounted on) for play in the bushes that support it (the sleeve gear bushes) If there is more than the minimum amount of 'up and down' play in these bushes the gearbox will require attention anyway, irrespective of the condition of the clutch or the rest of the internals....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for your comments, its a single spring type and I will remove the 2 plates first,the sleeve bushes appear to be ok,I had not suspected drag as when disingaged there is no creep until the clutch lever is in by about an inch and all the plates are in good condition,will report back,cheers

Nieuwe pagina 1