Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front mudguard stand

Now dismantling my 1942 WDM20, I found that the front mudguard rear stay stand needs some work. That stand is very handy when doing work on the front wheel. But there is no mention of it in the RAF parts list, and the Russell catalogue does not mention it either . Draganfly shows a front stand, but of a different type; what's correct for my bike?
Bewildered-Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Front mudguard stand

Hans here is a genuine WD M20 front stand. To the most part it is made from 7/16" bar (or is it tube?). On the right side only, one section is increased to 9/16".

Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Hans..Ron's stay is the correct one ..and there is only one pattern for the WDM20 (apart perhaps from very early ones). Pre war civilian stays for girder forks didn't have the strengthened section on the offside and postwar stays for tele forks were a different shape with one attachment point on each side of the mudguard rather one central one at the rear....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Is there any evidence to support the story that the right-side thick section of the front stay is there to support a rifle scabard? I've read that theory somewhere..
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

I don't think so Vincent. It has been deduced from watching the training film, that the proceeder for recovering a bike on a steep muddy hill by means of the O/S lower mudguard stay resulted in BSA strengthening a portion of it. I have to say though......it was not done by any other manufacturer?? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for all the replies; so my stand is the correct one. My problem is that I don't have the correct bolts; long ago, when the forum did not yet exist, and I had no parts list, I improvised a bit with 1/4" CEI bolts and Helicoils. But now I need the correct part number for the bolts to order them from Russell; they are not in the parts list!

I am still going with my theory relating to recovering the bike (by the Army method) after failing to negotiate a steep hill offroad, as detailed in the training film.
Many of the other WD machines have stays of a larger diameter than the standard 'civvy' BSA one and the film specifically shows the use of the offside of the stay.
30 years of looking for the reason for this modification bought up, and discounted, all the popular theories (such as the rifle scabbard mounting) and some more obscure ones (such as chaining the bike down in a glider)..but none of them worked on a logical basis or could be confirmed with any supporting information.
My original challenge remains, and the £10 'prize' I offered, for anyone who can come up with a more plausible and logical alternative theory for its purpose, along with some supporting documentation/ photos etc....Ian

The reason I heard for the strenthend right side was if the bike sufferd a lack of power or stalled going up a steep muddy hill, the rider would turn the handle bars to full left lock, let the bike roll backwards untill it faced across the hill, then let it drop onto its left hand side, while stepping of the bike. He would then get below the bike, and using the re-enforced part of the mudguard stay pull the bike until it was facing down the hill still on its side. Then he lifts it onto its wheels, pulls the clutch in, and rolls down the hill, bump starting as he does so.
I cant remember where I read this, and give no guarantee on its accuracy, but it sounds like the sort of 'good idea' that some back room boy who never used a bike in sevice would have

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

Hi Peter, That is exactly what is demonstrated in the training film..half way up the side of a mountain.. ..I thought the rider did well to get as far as he did.
While watching the film a few years back the question ,and what appeared to be the answer,came together in one of those Eureka! moments..Ian

Hi Hans,

I emailed the part numbers and sizes to ya.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Thanks Robb

Nieuwe pagina 1