Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Threadlocker okay on head bolts?

Hi

I have already tightened my head bolts three times according to Ian's directions. However they keep loosening. Is it okay to use threadlocker?

email (option): Jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Re: Threadlocker okay on head bolts?

Hi jeff

I have had "similar" experience but i found this was down to a really poorly manufactured head gasket

Its still there & working but next time its needs to be off i'll replace it with the solid ones TT John supplied. 3 times i had to re -do especially in the area of the exhaust valve where it runs hot.

Would be interested to hear from ian, dave or anyone on this - it worried me for a while but i do always have a spare

Also make sure your washers are ok to use & are your head bolts repro or originals

Maybe someone has stretch limits etc

Best regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I have had experience of tightening head bolts where a modern composite head gasket was fitted to my bike and I re-torqued them up to five times before the bolts stop moving. I did this after getting the engine hot and allowing to cool as per Ian's proceeder on the technical page. After I fitted a solid gasket only one re-tighten was required. I don't see a need for loktite. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It sounds like Loctite certainly wouldn't be much use. Loctite is designed to stop bolts unscrewing. This appears to be simply a case of further compression of the gasket which is introducing the "looseness".

If you Loctite the bolts, they'll just stay where you leave them while the head effectively "moves away". I've got a composite gasket fitted to my bike, and can't remember any problems. But now I'll have to go and check.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Thanks everyone

Serves me right for not using a sold gasket

email (option): Jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Re: Threadlocker okay on head bolts? NOT recommended

You will have lots of trouble undoing the bolts (or tightening them further) when it comes time. You may find a more detailed description of my experience on this forum but long story short, one of the prior owners of one of my M20s had apparently used locktite on only one of the head bolts (the one by the exhaust) and it took me more than three weeks of soaking with penetrating oil (including building a castle around the nut to keep the oil from flowing off) and using an air ratchet (the one used for car wheels) to get it off. I was sure it would break but I lucked out. I suspect the locktite got "baked" and wouldn't let go.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Nieuwe pagina 1