Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Message to Rick, Rob, Keycard info requested?

Hi Rick, Rob,

Vince had this frame with brazed rear desert stand. Turns out if was sent unstamped to Egypt and while there stamped with the crescent and three stars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Egypt) (flag of the Kingdom of Egypt, green with white crescent and three white stars) both the left and the right of the 4460 number. Further on the headstock, its number was repeated in arabic numerals.

Wondered if such number might turn up as imported by Forsyth and whether an engine number might be recorded if so.

Thanks for the footwork and assistance as always.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Message to Rick, Rob, Keycard info requested?

Hi Henri

Is that a "0" or a "9"? It probably is an "0".

Either way I can't see it in the keycards.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Rob, it is a zero and looking at the frame part number 66-4092 it may be a post war reg.

I can't help Henri. It's not WM20 4460 - That number is not listed in the frame book but engine and frame numbers should have matched by this time and M20 engine no. 4460 went to the Irish MOD in Dublin during 1941.

BSA's practice of starting numbering again each year means that without a prefix, it's very difficult to pin them down.

Thanks Rik, one of a kind I guess.

Hi Henri,
I didn't even see that Egyptian flag emblem, adds a whole new level of mystery to the frame. I'd be interested to know more of the Egyptian connection!
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

BSA sold in large quantities to various Govenment bodies around the world (Army, Police, Civil Services etc.) and the M20(and B31/A10) were used by many armed forces and police forces etc..
I have never seen any information on the subject but it may be possible some of these contracts were supplied with markings specified by the purchaser to suit their numbering systems...Alternatively those markings may have been applied on delivery.
If that were the case this may not be an 'Ex WD' machine at all..but an 'Ex Egyptian Government' machine..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Think you are correct, Ian...

While I was there I saw two complete frames wrapped in Burlap, painted rust primer and none of those were marked. With the arabic numbers on the headstock as pictured, I think it was definitly applied in situs.

Vince, will send photos of the NOS springs to your email address.

Nieuwe pagina 1