Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burman CP gaskets

Russell motors told me that its not possible to get a gasket set for the Burman CP. I wonder whether anyone can disprove that by pointing me in the right direction. Also, whilst on the subject can anyone tell me what grease to use in the Burman gearbox please? Also need a nice gear lever and kickstart for a G3WO heres hoping!

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Burman CP gaskets

Don't they just use a "semi fluid grease", most oil/grease brands will have one.
I have seen suggestions of 1/2 filling a leaky 16H gearbox with this (and topping up with oil) to minmise the outpouring.

Yes, i've been using it for years. I believe lots of rideon mowers use it in their g boxes as well.

I just rebuilt my G3 gearbox and bought the spares and gaskets from 'AMC Classics' I bought the Morris's semi fluid grease on line.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

thanks Guys, yes it is a semi fluid grease.. I will get onto AMC next week. cheers for the pointer.

it has been suggested that landrover swivel grease could be used but i am not recomending it as i am not sure whether it good for bronze bushes that are inside gearboxes

I was thinking of using a higher EP oil, like EP 140 in the 16H.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-835-silkolene-rhino-140-classic-gear-oil.aspx

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Yes but Dave. I believe EP (Extreme Pressure) oils have additives which are detrimental to bronze parts. The product you linked to is a straight 140 which is suitable for classic's. I use that in the gearbox and axles of my old Morris Commercial.

Ron

Has anyone got an exploded diagram of the CP Burman box to help me with the rebuild? I bought a new Kickstart casing from Russells which I was told was the later type without the rollers on the main camshaft. Les told me that it was a straight exchange and that the updated casing you just leave out the rollers and the camshaft runs in the new bronze bush. Doesnt look like thats going to happen as the shaft is bigger than the bush! I am flayling in the dark on this, and find it very hard to get any useful information on rebuilding the box. Makes the M20 look like a doddle when it comes to information available. Help !! Please

The upgraded gearbox did indeed change from rollers to a bronze bush and should be a straightforward replacement.
I will have to refer to my books tomorrow to look for anomalies. Unless someone else gets to it first.
There is a lack of workshop information regarding the G3. But a G3L workshop manual will give you more, apart from some minor differences and the forks of course.
Try Rob Van Meel. Ron

hi Ron, I do have a copy of the G3L manual but its still not very good on the Burman and there is no exploded diagram thats easy to follow. Not sure whats going on with my box, as I cannot find any rollers anyway! As I said the new bush is smaller by about 40thou than the shaft! I was thinking that I could heat both casings and press out the bushes and swop them around, however the G3L book says the bushes are not interchangeable, which I guess means the external diameter of the bushes is different. I know I will sort it out but its very frustrating. I also now need a new engine rocker box.......dont ask, I have had a bad day!

So your box has no rollers and a bigger shaft? Sounds like a different variation of box to me. I don't know enough about them! Where's Lex when you need him.......Womanising again? Ron

Are you talking about the selector cam or the kickstarter? I've never seen a bush instead of rollers on a CP before? There should be a steel sleeve and 3/16 rollers to support the selector cam.

andrewH
hi Ron, I do have a copy of the G3L manual but its still not very good on the Burman and there is no exploded diagram thats easy to follow. Not sure whats going on with my box, as I cannot find any rollers anyway! As I said the new bush is smaller by about 40thou than the shaft! I was thinking that I could heat both casings and press out the bushes and swop them around, however the G3L book says the bushes are not interchangeable, which I guess means the external diameter of the bushes is different. I know I will sort it out but its very frustrating. I also now need a new engine rocker box.......dont ask, I have had a bad day!

Try http://www.archives.jampot.dk/, there is a lot of info around on there, the only thing I found it a little sketchy on was the arrangements of the washers around the non existant seal on the high gear bearing. I have a few spare NOS gears and another gearbox in bits and also a rocker cover if you want to PM me

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Andrew, Douglas. My book has a note which states from which gearbox number the change took place. It also goes on to explain that the early shaft must be reduced in diameter when the bronze bush is fitted.
I too have a spare G3 rocker box, which is different to a G3L as it has the Triumph type tappet viewing caps.
Ron

Photobucket

Hi Ron, The write up for that oil says it's ok for bronze bushes etc.

Silkolene RHINO 140 Classic Gear Oil

Multi-purpose, mild EP gear oil for use in most types of sliding pinion gearboxes. Particularly suitable for light to moderately loaded reduction gears, worm gears and certain bevel gears. Compatible with bronze or brass gears, bushes and bearing cages.

I would have thought your Morris gearbox still had bronze bushes?

It was just an idea, I thought it would get around the bearings easier than grease.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Yes Dave. That Rhino gear oil is NOT EP140. It's a straight 140 gear oil which is suitable for gear box's with a low extreme pressure activity. Here is an excerpt from a publication on the subject.

" Most lubricants for manual gearboxes and differentials are hypoid gear oils. These contain extreme pressure (EP) additives and antiwear additives to cope with the sliding action of hypoid bevel gears.
It is extremely important to note that EP additives are corrosive to yellow metals such as copper or brass in bushings or synchronizers. GL1 is the class of gear oils that does not* contain EP additives"

Interestingly the lubrication instruction for a WW2 Willys Jeep states, EP (Hypoid)90 in the axles, but straight 90 gear oil in the transmission. Friends of mine just buy standard EP90 from Halfords to top up their jeeps and thereby risk rotting the gearbox and transfer box bushings.
Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1