Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Enfield Oil weight

I have done a little searching with no luck. Any suggestions on oil and weight for the engine and gear box on my WD/C. I have no clue when it was last changed so figure it needs it.

Jesse

email (option): v8zspeed@yahoo.com

Re: Enfield Oil weight

Jesse I use mono grade SAE 40 non detergent in all my bike engines. I use SAE 50 in the Albion gearbox's and chain case. I buy Morris's oil from my usual bloke at the jumbles for about £16 per 5 litres. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi,
A letter my father got many years ago from Castrol Burmah advised GP50 - which is a straight 50 non detergent oil. Morrises do one as well.
However Rons suggestion of a straight 40 would be fine.
Mind you oil changes are not that criticle on an Enfield - the amount they leak tends to make it a total loss system
Regards
Clive

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

Hi Jesse, yes the same as Ron, straight 40 in the Enfield and the M20, Ian.

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks all.
true on the leakage. but i still need to know what to top up with. plus i would like to know that what is in there ia fresh. then keep topped from there.

Jesse

email (option): v8zspeed@yahoo.com

I would drain and refill with the straight oil, if its been running on a straight oil and you put a detergent oil in the detergent oil will clean any build up in the motor which can cause problems as the tolerances in these older engines are much greater than todays kit. If there`s detergent oil in there at the moment I`m not sure if there would be any reaction between the mixing of the little that is left, perhaps someone will comment on that. Ian.

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Hi,
No problems I know mixing any oils apart from castor based ones such as Castrol R.
Certainly I agree with Ian that you should avoid detergent based oils as the noises the bearings can make after all the old sludge has been cleaned out can be frightning to hear!
Regards
Clive

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

Nieuwe pagina 1