Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox information - correct positioning of Pawls on the Ratchet Lever

In Hans Muller's very informative article on Gearbox Work in the Technical information Hints and Tips section of the The BSA W.D. M20 Website, there is a photo in the top of the Adjusting paragraph that shows a view of the Pawls on the Ratchet Lever.
Can anyone please tell me from that photo, what gear it is in when the Pawls are in this position and would it be possible to get a larger pic of this?
I am in the process of putting together a basket case 1939 M20 and although I can select all 4 gears easily with a wrench on the square drive go the Gear Control Quadrant 24-4247, I just can't seem to get the right set-up of the Pawls on the Ratchet Lever.
Thanks in advance.
John Quinnell
Sydney Australia

email (option): jpdq@optusnet.com.au

Re: Gearbox information - correct positioning of Pawls on the Ratchet Lever

hi John, you will get greater experts than me on this subject, but one thing to remember is that the gearbox has to be turning for the gears to select. If you are not rotating the box you may be trying to force something that will not go. Wait to see what the others say though. Good luck

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

I always check mine by putting the mainshaft in the lathe chuck and a revolving centre in the other end of it and then brace the casing against the tool holder (make sure that you have the circlip on the splined gear selector so that it dosen't fall apart) as you check the gear selector mechanism, simply revolve it at about 90 rpm and try each gear. I had a box once that was a pig to change gear on the bench, but when it was on the bike it changed gear beautifully, so really it does have to be moving to check it properly.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thanks for those tips Andrew & Dave. I can change gears quite smoothly using a wrench on the square drive of the Gear Control Quadrant whilst turning the output shaft. What I now need to do is determine the correct position of the Pawls on the Ratchet Lever in either 1st or 4th gear as shown in Hans Muller's article on Gearbox Work in the Technical information Hints and Tips section. Was that pic showing the 1st gear or 4th gear position? I'm thinking it may be 4th gear?
PS: Apologies to Hans Muller for not seeking permission to use his photo before posting.
Thanks in advance.

John Quinnell
Sydney Australia

John, hans.s picture shows 4th gear. Lower pawl ready to select 3rd gear.

Thanks Matty,
I've got positive results already.
I guessed it wasn't going to be that hard a problem to solve.
I just needed to know where to start.
What a great forum this is.
Regards
John Quinnell
Sydney Australia

Definitely agree there John. One of the best thing about owning one of these bikes is this forum.

Matty.
Sunny Melbourne.

John Quinnell
PS: Apologies to Hans Muller for not seeking permission to use his photo before posting.
Thanks in advance.
John Quinnell
Sydney Australia

No need to apologize John, consider this to be public domain

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nieuwe pagina 1