Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Levers on 16H

Hi all, me again.

On my machine all levers are missing. I do not know how original handles look like so hard for me to search for them. All the images I saw in the Internet always show different versions of levers, aluminium (casted), metal (casted) and those out of approx. 2mm bended iron sheets. Also sometimes with a ball on its end (but this is not post war I guess)

For ignition and air Amal (with the ball on its End) will be the right choice but also there I saw Levers connected to each other (clutch/break connected to ignition/air) and also separated???

What is the correct combination on a 1936 16H.

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): phillip.thaler@gmx.at

Re: Levers on 16H

I think the levers on the picture are bowden handels The masive brass ones dificult to find bud Cornucopia in Germany makes new ones not cheap bud they are for sale He has a webbsite. Gr. Theo

email (option): indian@inter.nl.net

The ignition control levers on both the bikes pictured are Amal. As far as I can tell, Norton did not specify Amal controls and neither did they use Bowden.

The correct levers were made by Doherty but not always marked as such. In contrast to the post-1960s controls from Doherty, their pre-war stuff was top quality and innovative.

The brake lever clamp and certainly the valve lifter on the Norton pictured could well be Doherty although I'd expect to see horizontally split 'combination' levers with the ignition and air controls forming the top clamp.

The correct early combination Doherty clamps are extremely hard to find. I've never seen a set off of a bike. The separate clamps were included on WD production from late 1939 and do still turn up.

Phillip, do you follow John de Cruiff's Norton blog ? There was a very nice unrestored 1937 bike on there recently and the levers are absolutely correct.

http://www.vintagenorton.com/2011/12/1937-model-big-four-norton.html

Andy Tiernan had a 1936 Big 4 in some time ago, also with correct levers. They have a nice strong pivot.

http://www.andybuysbikes.com/Archive/4935nrt.html

This is how the separate (but still Doherty) controls appeared on the 1939 WD production - The bike has been civilianised.

Photobucket

It might be worth mentioning that Nortons of the period had longer brake levers than clutch levers - 6" and 5" - There is even a small price difference in the parts books.

These are my levers...

Photobucket

Phillip,
Are you sure your 16H is that early (1936)?

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

very Interesting.

I always thought the air and ignition lever for pre war machines must be amal and must have the ball at its end. Did not know the lever with the flat head fits pre war too.
Thats why I thought the bike here (http://www.vintagenorton.com/2011/12/1937-model-big-four-norton.html) got the wrong levers.

Year of manufacturing of my bike is during investigation by Rob.

Kostas, are your levers original or reproduced ones. They look good, where are they from?

Phillip

Phillip,
My levers are original and came with the bike.
Had them cadmium plated during restoration.
What are the numbers on your bike?
Kostas

Frame 64469
Engine 67528

Happy to ask someone I know for a pair of original levers if you want, but something tells me it won't be cheap!

Please ask lets see what the price is

Phillip

I may have a pair, I'll check tomorrow and let you know

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1