Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Welding up rear stand lugs, Matchless

I wonder whether anyone has done what I am thinking of doing to their WD frame? Where the rear stand on my G3WO bolts the holes have become oval due to worn bolts or incorrect sizes used. Also, the buffer on the back of the frame where the stand rests against when it is in the up position is a bit squidged. Therefore, I am wondering whether I can rebush with success the holes and weld and grind back the rear lugs. I am sure its possible to do a nice job, just wondered whether others had attempted it.

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Welding up rear stand lugs, Matchless

Hi, I've done it a lot on M20's you should oversize the hole a little bit, then fill them with braze (but preferably sif bronze) and re-drill them, it then forms a bushing in there and in a few years when it wears again, simply do the same again!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

thanks Dave. Whats SIF bronze when its at home then? I wonder if that can be used on the back of the frame lug?

Andrew, you cannot compare Matchless and BSA rear stands, in the Matchy frame, there's a threaded bit, not so in the M20 (stand is forked, and inner half is threaded). best to completely weld the holes, redrill and retap to original thread.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Ah! right, that would explain why mine are knackered then. They had a bolt right through which had worn the hole in the frame oval. So you are saying, that the rear stand is fitted by being bolted onto the frame with a threaded bolt and no nut on the back?

Andrew, there is a locknut on the inside of the frame, Russels used to have both bolts & nuts. Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

thanks Alex, I will get on to them straight away. cheers

Nieuwe pagina 1