Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear wheel off center?

Hi

I just had my rear wheel redone and powder coated. However when I put it back on it seems to be off center to the right. Should the rim have ben reset up to be centered on the hub or centered on the hub and drum. It is a 1944 BSA m20. Wm3 rim

Thanks in advance

email (option): Jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Re: Rear wheel off center?

The center of the main frame tube ( backbone of frame) should align with the center of the rear wheel, (and the front wheel as well) which equates to the wheel rim being centered on the drum/wheel hub assembly as it would mount in the frame

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

John Edwards
The center of the main frame tube ( backbone of frame) should align with the center of the rear wheel, (and the front wheel as well) which equates to the wheel rim being centered on the drum/wheel hub assembly as it would mount in the frame

Just to be completely clear so I don't screw it up.. This means that when the rear rim is mounted the center of the rim will fall upon the centerline of the entire drum wheel assembly. Effectively making the rim off center of just the wheel hub?

Just to be completely clear so I don't screw it up.. This means that when the rear rim is mounted the center of the rim will fall upon the centerline of the entire drum wheel assembly. Effectively making the rim off center of just the wheel hub?[/quote]

Yes, If the rear wheel "rim" is centered in alignment with the frame backbone, the rim's center will not align with the wheel "hub" center, but will fall roughly in the center of the complete wheel hub/brake drum assembly as it would sit when properly mounted in the frame... The key is the centerline of the entire motorcycle which runs the along the length of the frame backbone... both front and rear wheels should center along that line.

Here is a link to another forum discussion on alignment...has a nice illustration of frame dimensions...should help clarify.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1176031&cmd=show

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

had you got all the spacers and nut in the correct position

Hi Jeff,

Please PM me with your email address. Your rear frame could be out of whack and I've desifned a sweet little gage you can easilly make on a lathe and a method to find the centerline with an arrow.

I also have the standards book info on rear wheel offset you will want to know about.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

John Edwards
Just to be completely clear so I don't screw it up.. This means that when the rear rim is mounted the center of the rim will fall upon the centerline of the entire drum wheel assembly. Effectively making the rim off center of just the wheel hub?

Yes, If the rear wheel "rim" is centered in alignment with the frame backbone, the rim's center will not align with the wheel "hub" center, but will fall roughly in the center of the complete wheel hub/brake drum assembly as it would sit when properly mounted in the frame... The key is the centerline of the entire motorcycle which runs the along the length of the frame backbone... both front and rear wheels should center along that line.

Here is a link to another forum discussion on alignment...has a nice illustration of frame dimensions...should help clarify.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1176031&cmd=show

JDE[/quote]

Perfect and thank you it is exactly what I needed

Nieuwe pagina 1