Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ignition timing

Is it possible to set the contact points with a bulb instead of a thin piece of paper

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: ignition timing

Hi John..No, it isn't. However, having made that statement I can't give you the exact reason for it! I did know but it has gone somewhere...It is something to do with the way the current flows through the primary and secondary armature windings...I'll try to find the bit of information in amongst all my documentation.
That is why a 'magic box' is made to replace the fag paper..the internal electronics take care of that problem. I have one of those and it is a good piece of kit...but not cheap at around £40. There may be cheaper ones out there however....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, I was afraid of that. Because checking for Voltage, it was everywhere on the magneto. Points closed or open

John

could you not put a wire just between the points just behind the contacts and use it like a switch using an led i know it would be fiddley

Roger, it would be something, but everything on the magneto is "earthed". I did use a voltmeter and current from the battery and on any spot I got 5.86 V. ( Yes I know, it is a bit low)

John

hi john,the two contacts must be separated(insulated) from each other,otherwise there would be no point having them to break the circuit.you could try twisting a fuse wire round the post terminal and connecting a bulb and battery to that and the spring top terminal.the bulb will be lit until the points just break.fiddly yes ,but given that you have a massive amount of advance /retard adjustment,i dont think you need be that critical.points just break at 7/16'' before t.d.c or 11mm,you wont measure the .004''difference cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

I will give it another try Rick, and let you all know.

John

Nieuwe pagina 1