Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question re: panniers from Schipper

Anyone with experience with this? Panniers I bought from Schipper some months ago came in a smalish box, tightly folded and packed. I would like to continue to store them in that box until use, probably a year or so in the future. Will they get permanently creased or otherwise damaged because of the fact that they will not be stored open and unfolded. Will they already be damaged now, since they have been in that box for several months?

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Take them out of that box, and let them lie flat for the months until you use them.

In Boot camp, we put our seabags under the mattress so we could "iron" in the creases for the inevitable
folding and refolding of it for inspection.

They are going to get wrinkley anyway, but a crease would not be that pretty.

All material will crease over time, so do lay them flat.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

If you are short of storage space, take the bags out of the closet and stuff them with your laundry, use them to tote groceries, store linens, or towls, or some such...do not leave them folded in a box, and do not worry about getting them dirty during use....needless to say, the patina of age and use will overtake them in earnest once they are on the bike.

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Thank you both. I will "iron" them by putting them between stacked storage boxes, as I don't think the wife would appreciate them under the mattress. As for using them for laundry, I don't think so, as I will probably need a couple of dozen more bags.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Guess I better pull mine out of the box and stuff them too. The snaps are different from what is on the frames, will need to retrofit a newer style snap.
Otherwise seems to be a well made product at a good price.
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

take them out and try them on the frames. Unfortunately one of mine did not fit since the leather corner piece had been sown on in the wrong place. They sent me another as a replacement though but the canvas was different. Non of the above is a negative reflection upon Schipper but a simple recommendation to check what you buy when you buy it, as its much easier to get it exchanged if necessary when you first receive it!

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Yes..The bags can be 'overtight' on the frame where the leather corner pieces locate. Another tip...grease the press studs when you fit the bags..if they are left for a few months the press studs rust to the carrier and will pull through the corner pieces when you try to remove them.
One other criticism of the Schipperfabrik parts is the length of the straps..The strap that joins one bag to the other is approx. 2" too short (when fitted to an M20 carrier assembly).. and the 'long side' of the Y strap set is a bit short when the bags are loaded up...2"-3" inches extra would do it... Worth mentioning if you are ordering any...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

my Y straps are a bit short with a lot of kit in them i shortened a valese strap but cutting the buckle off and re sewing it on the shortened strap the sewing it not fantastic but it can'nt be seen when buckled up i use this as an extention the the Y straps

Hey Vincent, I haven't heard yet that the snaps didn't work, if you have original carriers I would think they should be OK, however, I have found them to be extremely tight and I need to use a flat tip screwdriver to pry them off, pulling on them will rip them through the leather. Make sure the snaps are free of paint on the carrier. Let me know, I'm quite curious as to why they would be different.
Sam

samuel cormier
Hey Vincent, I haven't heard yet that the snaps didn't work, if you have original carriers I would think they should be OK, however, I have found them to be extremely tight and I need to use a flat tip screwdriver to pry them off, pulling on them will rip them through the leather. Make sure the snaps are free of paint on the carrier. Let me know, I'm quite curious as to why they would be different.
Sam

Hi Sam, my carriers are repro anyway so probably had different snaps than original. But will definitely give them a try before repainting (the frames came black, probably from Inja ) . I could always re-drill the snap mounting when fitting the new snaps to the frame. But would want to do it before re-painting green anyway.
Does anybody know if the bags will shrink in time, especially if they get wet?

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Hi Vincent..My Schipper bags have been thoroughly wet quite a few times without any shrinkage problems..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I never thought I had a leather-fetish until I opened the pannier box from Schipper......I'd gladly put them back in the box over winter just for another niff when opened. Creases are a small price to pay....

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

All those wearing new leather jerkins on Arrowmanche beach in 2014 had better be careful!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1