Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Despatch Rider training locations?

Here's hoping you can help with my needle-in-a-haystack hunt.

My Father was a Despatch Rider in WW2 and I'm trying to find out as much info as possible, one reason being so I can mark my M20 the same as his would have been.
I applied for his service record in July but have been told the wait is approaching 12 months. I've had a search online to no avail, but I must admit to not knowing a great deal about WW2 searches on the 'net.

Like so many others from that era, precious little was mentioned about his service, but here's what little I know:

Corporal (I think) Ronald Ivor Davey born 1914
Was with London Fire Service until becoming an instructor & Despatch Rider during WW2

It's not a lot I know, but seeing the training pic on the forum made me wonder if it's possible to do a backwards search relating to DR training locations?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Despatch Rider training locations?

Hi Lee..I don't know if there is a definitive list of DR Training locations...Ones I have seen photos of which gave a location were Yorkshire, The Lake District, South Wales, S. Devon, and Nottinghamshire...No doubt there were a lot more.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

hi ian while at ponderosa wartime weekend a gentleman took my number and asked if i would recreate a despatch rider training film which was filmed in the barnsley area he had to get permision of the land owner and would let me know .happy new year from windy and wet yorkshire ps roll on normandy 70

email (option): m.wales10@ntlworld.com

I go to the Ponderosa quite a lot (usually on my Harley) I didn't know there was a wartime weekend there!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1