Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G3 clutch removal

OK, I give up. Stripping my 40G3 without a manual, it too complex, but can anyone tell me how to hold the clutch hub inner whilst I undo the main clutch nut? I dont want to brace a screw driver off the 4 studs that hold the clutch pressure plate as they are not sturdy enough. There must be an easy way ! Just keen not to break anything as I think these G3s are harder to get parts for than the old M20s thanks

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: G3 clutch removal

I just recently did mine. I placed an appropriate length bar vertically from my bench to one of the slots in the drum. Then with steady pressure from a long socket bar undid the nut quite easily. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Andrew, take one of the old plane clutch plates with the tangs that fit into the slots on the inner clutch. These plates will very probably be warped or corroded and will need replacing. Now find a strip of metal that you can attach to the plate and drill and bolt it to the plate. This will give you a lever to hold the inner clutch from rotating whilst you undo the centre nut. Not sure if I have explained this well enough. Cheers John Tinley

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

Nice one John! I'll remember that for the future

Ron

thanks Gents, both ideas make perfect sense. Actually my clutch does not look too bad! Who sells the clutch plates John if I decide to sacrifice one!

Photobucket

Photobucket

'AMC Classic Spares' (google)

Ron

Or Russell's in Clapham Junction which is run by Les Myers. In fact I would say he is the bests person for WD Matchless parts and a lot of them are in their original grease paper. His number is 0207 228 1714 or fax 0207 924 4273. He does not do computers so you have to fax him a list of the parts you need with your card details and they arrive very quickly. Cheers John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

Thanks John. I will try him this week. I have had BSA stuff from him already

Use a rattle gun!

John Tinley
Andrew, take one of the old plane clutch plates with the tangs that fit into the slots on the inner clutch. These plates will very probably be warped or corroded and will need replacing. Now find a strip of metal that you can attach to the plate and drill and bolt it to the plate. This will give you a lever to hold the inner clutch from rotating whilst you undo the centre nut. Not sure if I have explained this well enough. Cheers John Tinley

In practice, this would be just like a Commando clutch remover! If you put an offset on that welded on piece you can clear the clutch basket.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

what is wrong with putting it in forth gear that is if the rear wheel is still on

well the wheel is off and to get at the nut you have to take the clutch plates out, so it would not grip anyway.

Yes it would. It's on the mainshaft remember!

Yes the clutch centre is on the main shaft. But that will just spin with no plates in place. Ron

Surely with the back brake applied and the gearbox in gear the sleeve gear is locked by the brake, the sleeve gear locks the layshaft, which is engaged with the mainshaft..so it won't move?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes You are right in theory Ian. I just found it a lot easier the way I did it.......And don't call me Shirley.

Ron

on second thoughts I think you are correct, that the centre hub which one is trying to undo could be held via the sprocket to the rear brake, however, I have no dismantled all of that! thanks for all the thoughts though

Nieuwe pagina 1