Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
South African M20

Hi Guys,

Found this M20 for sale here in DDA - don't often find them. I'm not an M20 bof, so if the 'sperts could provide an objective crit of the machine, I'll pursue it if its worthwhile.
The front mudguard is clearly duff. The numbers are recorded as being the same. It's advertised as a 1940 machine. No rear pannier frame either.

Cheers,

Bruce

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Re: South African M20

Hi Bruce, Year of manufacture can only be accurately deduced from the frame number. It is the basis of a project but there are numerous incorrect, missing parts(for 1940).
It has a late war 'cut off' petrol tank, the knee grip rubbers are postwar as is the speedo by the look of it. The pillion seat is a civvy pattern one. The headlamp is not from an M20..it should have the switch panel in the top. The lower front mudguard stay(s) are incorect. The battery carrier is a post war civvy one.
It's hard to see from the photo but the back mudguard might be a late wartime one without a 'center rib'.
The horn is incorrect and the pieces that support the riders saddle springs look wrong though again it's hard to be certain. The middle rear mudguard stays are incorrect..it should have a one piece 'lifting handle' type stay.
Lower chainguard, sumpguard and field stand are missing and the mounting lug for the field stand appears to be too far down the frame tube..that could do with further investigation...I have noticed recently that these are mounted in two different positions so some measuring would be needed...
The steering damper assembly is missing..it should have that for 1940 but not necessarily if it is in fact a later bike..it was omitted for one year.
Also the pannier support tubes, pannier frames and rear carrier are missing..but again what was fitted originally depends on the actual year of the bike.
Handlebars and controls are not clearly shown but there is some original stuff on there...
More pictures and information would be required for a more detailed description...Like everything it's about price and how correct you want it...and also how much you like buggering about ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Cheers Ian!

With that much to do......
I'm one of those folk who like to have the proper bits - not hybrid which this one clearly seems to be. I'll give the bloke a call and see if he'll provide the numbers which will help with the ID.

Thanks for the feedback - glad I didn't rush into this one. The seller is asking ZAR25K which equates to approx 2k UK Sterling. For that kind of money I want all the right bits, thank you very much. Sourcing original parts is both time consuming and expensive, as we all know. I think that I'll stick with getting my WD/CO together.....

Bruce

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Look at whats right with the bike!

The price seems OK at 2K GPB. That's about USD $3,200. Almost all of it is there. Everything is correctable, and you can ride it as is whilst redoing!

To me, this sounds like a very good deal! The speedo head alone is worth 1/4 of the price of the bike.

After all, you're not going concours with this are you?

I'd say... GO for it!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1