Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas 1936 - 1957 Catalogue No. 716A

I'm not sure if this is too off topic - but does anyone have a high resolution soft-copy of the Lucas parts catalog no. 716A which covers all the Lucas bits from 1936 up to 1957?
I tried to order the Lucas CD from Kim the CD Man in Oz, but he has discontinued this particular item.

One of my new years resolutions for 2012: Get a WD/CO assembled and running! (Jan, Ron - I'll probably be pestering you for info - where does this bit go, or, how does this lot hang together?)

Looking forward to quite a few bitterly cold beers tonight while staring at the braai fire and talking absolute guano with some pals. A peaceful and safe new year to all - I trust that you folk north of the equator warms the cockles of your hearts with something appropriate this evening!

Cheers,

Bruce

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Re: Lucas 1936 - 1957 Catalogue No. 716A

Bruce

I've emailed you the Lucas 716 catalogue. It's 18Mb so may be too big to get through. And I've just noticed that you actually asked for 716A, which is even bigger at 86Mb, so let me know whether you receive the first one and I'll try sending 716A.

ChrisJ

Cheers Chris!

If it doesn't get through my ISP, I'll let you know and we can try my gmail account which is kirby.bruce@gmail.com

Appreciate the effort - not sure what the difference is between the 716 and the 716A though....

Cheers,

Bruce

It's a bit dangerous to rely on these post-war dated catalogues when researching parts for 1930s or wartime machines.

Lucas were masters of supersession and utilised the same part number for components which sometimes looked similar or indeed completely different, as long as they did the job.

The dip switches that the 1957 catalogue lists for Norton are completely different from anything appearing in period photographs or documents.

Rik, I agree. Lucas tended to list current production items which were functionally the same but not necessarily original fitment, so close scrutiny of supersessions lists is required.

It may be of interest to some that I’ve managed to send over 100Mb of stuff to Bruce using the service at www.WeTransfer.com (which I found just by Googling around). It’s easy, it works and it’s free, so there’s not much to dislike about it.

ChrisJ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9383961@N05/sets/72157612645749368/

Chris,
Thanks mate - the download worked superbly! One to remember when moving large chunks of data around.
The documents are prexactly what I was looking for - thanks.

Regarding the Lucas lists and early/WD items, I too have found some obvious anomolies. But a quick glance shows little or no reference to WD items. The WD tail lights? Blackout masks? 4 position light switches and panels? Granted, I just had a cursory run through so haven't minutely disseminated the data. But the data provided contains a wealth of knowledge which takes the guesswork out of a lot of things. I was trying to establish whether or not the post-war Enfield Model CO had a flat or rounded lens. Couldn't find any reference to the WD model Enfields - or the Model CO! There is some input though on the shape of the 1946 BSA C11 lens though which I was looking for clarity on. Appears it was a flattie.....

I'm chuffed! Lekker!!!!!

Cheers,

Bruce

Nieuwe pagina 1