Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Universal Panniers

Can anyone please tell me when the universal panniers would have been introduced to all makes of WD motorcycles? Thanks John Tinley

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Re: Universal Panniers

Hi John

The retro fitting dates are covered in the DME circulars.

Norton 31.3.42
R Enfield 23.2.43
Ariel 12.6.42
BSA 10.5.42
Matchless 10.5.44

The factory fitting dates might be harder to tie down though.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob, Thanks for this. I am not quite sure what you mean by the retro fitting dates? Will the dates the factories fitted them be earlier than this? Matchless seems to be very late? Cheers John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Hi John

The DME circular title list is in O&M second edition page 20-22 and a slightly shorter version is in a 1943 RAMTS book, unfortunately most of the actual circulars have yet to be found but the general gist can be ascertained by the title.

The circulars are a list of alterations made to vehicles already in service and fall into 3 categories, "Immediate action", "Where necessary" & "General instructions". Fitting pannier bags falls into the immediate action list.

I guess in the case of Matchless most of the G3Ls already had pannier equipment from the factory and the upgrade kit was for the G3 and a small number of G3Ls which is why it happened so late???

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

John Tinley
Can anyone please tell me when the universal panniers would have been introduced to all makes of WD motorcycles? Thanks John Tinley

Hi John,

Enfield started using them in October '41.

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1