Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flea headlamp blank

any body willing to part with a headlamp blank to cover hole where ammeter is on a standard DU 42, For my flea meybe someone makes a repro, andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: Flea headlamp blank

Andy you should have a Miller lamp on that. Metal Magic makes those repro parts....including the headlamp 01189731631.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Like this one??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Thanks Ron,, A senior moment, I think its the James that has a DU42 with a blanking plate,The miller I have seems very small it might be post war, Any chance of the circumferance measured just behind the headlamp rim not the Od. saves time. andrew.h.

I'll measure the Flea lamp tomorrow. Here is a James headlamp with it's strange light switch. As I said, Metal Magic makes repro parts for Fleas and ML's. Ron

Photobucket

Andrew, the circumference around the shell behind the rim is about 22 1/2". Ron

Photobucket

Yes Andrew the ML has a resistor, fitted at the normal ammeter position. Unlike the Flea which has a resistor attached to the switch. Ron

Photobucket

Hi Ron, due you have a pic of a Miller blackout mask? I'm after one for my Miller G3L and wondered how different they were from Lucas.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Here is a Miller mask Mick. They are similar to the Lucas mask, but are distinguishable by those extra pieces at each side of the hood. Again Metal Magic makes them. I managed to crack the little glass in mine which I will attend to one day. Ron

Photobucket

Thanks for that Ron. Do you have a contact for Metal Magic? Its Terry Roberts company isn't it?
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Any ideas as to where this one was used?
Photobucket

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Yes Mick. Terry Roberts. Email metaltel@yahoo.co.uk
or phone 01189 731631.

Ron

Henri I think they used those towards the end of the war as an economy measure. The ammeter was omitted and the switch was fitted to a bracket under the saddle. Although I don't understand why it wasn't mounted in the head lamp. Some had a press button in the switch panel to test the charge through the back light I think. Ron

Thanks Ron, I have one of those also, but am missing that push button switch.

On the flat piece that sits on that coil, there is a pin that holds it to the coil contraption, but I am missing the securing clip that holds it to the bracket. Is the clip like the one that holds the ammeter or is it differentPhotobucketPhotobucket

And not sure that I understand what this resistor is all about. It would be for the Flea and the James ML, right?

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Ron the james headlamp looks NOS, With that strange mould that grows on old rubber, and very crisp terminals, Andrew.h.

Yes Henri that looks like the James resistor. See my previous picture.
Yes Andrew it is a brand new ML headlamp that I bought off an old collector. I didn't even realize what I had till Axe pointed it out to me.

Ron

I've read somewhere that the majority of electrical failures occurred due to movement around the headstock.

The switchgear was moved so that only the wiring necessary for the lamp went up to the headlight. It would have saved loom costs as well as improved reliability.

Nieuwe pagina 1