Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Welbike wheels

My Mk1 Welbike came with 2 original rims and a front hub (which may or may not be correct).

I have checked the welbike spare parts list to no avail so here are my qyestions.

1. Are both rims the same or do the spoke holes point in different directions due to he differing hub sizes?

2. What gauge/size of spokes do I need?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Welbike wheels

Rob,

As far as I know the front and rear rims are the same, but the dimples might be on a different angle on the rear, as the brake drum is there.

If you have an early Corgi rim, the spacing of the spoke holes/dimples is not uniform, pictures will tell, and a Corgi rim can be modified.

Spoke lenght is as follows:

Spokes : rearwheel 12 gauge, 10 X 3 1/4", 10 X 2 1/2"
(10 X 8,3mm, 10 X ,35mm)

frontwheel 12 gauge, 20 X 3 3/16"
(20 X 8,1mm)

Degree of the spokehead 95 degrees, thread 12G X 56 T.P.I.

Hope this helps,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lex

I've had a look at the Central Wheel site.

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/spokes/spokes.html

I presume they are "single diameter spokes"?

12 gauge is 2.60mm which looks right.

I need to measure the thickness of the hub flanges to get the "lengh of bend" (B).

The smallest nipple size available is 5.75mm which will hopefully fit the holes in the rim.

My rear brake drum/hub is from a solid Corgi wheel so I will have to make sure it is the same diameter as a welbike one or the spoke lenghs will be different.

I need to decide on Galvanised steel or stainless???

Oh and then I just have to learn how to lace a wheel, simples. Rob.

Rob, can do some more measuring tomorrow, spokes are not "butted" so single dia.

Take galvanised spokes, and put them in acid for an hour or so, then that will be gone, and the paint will stick to them.

To lace the WB rims is easy!!! trueing is terible!!!

Cheers,

Lex

Spokes : rearwheel 12 gauge, 10 X 3 1/4", 10 X 2 1/2"
(10 X 8,3mm, 10 X ,35mm)

frontwheel 12 gauge, 20 X 3 3/16"
(20 X 8,1mm)

3 1/4"= 8.25 cm
2 1/2"= 6.35 cm.

On our project for the front wheel we used a 3mm spoke of 85 mm length (length being measured as the distance from the top of the threaded end to the centre of the spoke in the angle, if you understand my explanation.
For the rear wheel, given our rear brake flange being 122.5 mm in outer diameter, we used again a 3 mm thick spoke, in the two lengths of 75 and 65 mm.

If needed I can supply these, no problem. Or get them to Axe.

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Thanks Rob

I think I will stick to 12 gauge.

I will measure my hubs today.

Rob.

Alex
Rob, can do some more measuring tomorrow, spokes are not "butted" so single dia.

Take galvanised spokes, and put them in acid for an hour or so, then that will be gone, and the paint will stick to them.

To lace the WB rims is easy!!! trueing is terible!!!

Cheers,

Lex

I have always wanted to try building a wheel so this could be fun.

And I have had trouble getting paint to stick to galvanised spokes in the past, what sort of acid do you use?

Rob

Rob,

Nipples I can get, (and same as original) are 5mm dia, and 14mm long. they are nickel plated, but can be beadblasted.

Lenght of spokes should indeed be centimeter instead of mm!

If you just take an old battery, and dip the spokes in there, or insert a brush, and brush the spokes a couple of times, the zinc will dissolve, with a lot of foaming!!

Have spoked a lot of Welbike wheels over the years, and if using the original hubs and rims it's not necceserry to use thicker spokes, it gives more trouble then it's worth, just keep them tight after running it for some time, especcially the rear.

Cheers,

Lex

My front hub is 47.8mm diameter across the spoke flange.

The rear is 53.2mm and 119.5mm.

I have tried an odd 12 gauge spoke in the rear hub, it goes through the small flange spoke holes OK but won't clear the brake drum so maybe the holes need to be slightly larger?

Rob.

Nieuwe pagina 1