Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M21 clutch issues

The Clutch on my 1939 M21 was dragging so I took it apart today. The cover plate and the first friction plate came out but the next 3 steel and 2 friction plates came out stuck together. I have not tried to separate these yet but could this have been causing my clutch issues?

Should the plates be lubricated or prepared in any way to stop this bonding from occurring?

I'm planning to replace the six clutch springs as they are no longer the same length, one of them looks to be a different wire gauge all together!

One thing I did notice is that the clutch basket has a lot of 'sideways' play and the clutch inner has a lot or 'rotational' play. This was when the plates were removed. Is this normal? I have tried to capture this play in the enclosed video - www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBunEGbAANw

Many thanks
Gerard

Re: M21 clutch issues

Gerard, those stuck together plates will definitely give you a problem. Yes those early 6 spring clutches rely on some lubrication. Unlike the later single spring clutch which has Ferodo friction plates and must run dry.
Those 6 spring clutches are considered to be the worst of the lot. Far better to replace the whole thing with either a later M20 clutch or a Triumph 4 spring clutch.
Some rock in the clutch is usually evident and might be reduced by replacing the 1/4" rollers.
The sideways movement on the central hub shouldn't be there! Either the nut is loose or there is wear in the keyway or both, or maybe it's just backlash in the gearbox main-shaft? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1