Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tank sealant again.

After successfully removing the sealant from my G3L tank and testing for leaks with a gallon of gun wash. I am now doing my Velo MDD tank. I'm getting quite used to this now Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Tank sealant again.

derr!! sorry ron what is gun wash

What did you put back Ron,andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Gun wash is just a thinners for cleaning off paint from spray guns etc, it is cheap and is more agressive than the thinners they use on 2 pack paints.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Roger, gun wash is basically just cheap cellulose thinners for cleaning your spray gun.
Andrew, I didn't put anything back since I proved there are no leaks. That will be the next saga if this tank needs sealing. What to use???
Before Ethanol, I used to put Petseal in as a precautionary method of sealing any loose rust or grit from finding it's way to the taps or carb.

Ron

Ron , you will have no trouble in finding a tank sealant specially developed to counteract the disolving properties of Ethanol , in particular American products seem to be plentiful , as I think our freinds across the herring pond are a little ahead of us in this game . Good for them .

Thanks Leif. I have been in touch with a local guy here in UK. Who uses's a product with a 15 year guarantee against Ethanol. There is another guy I have come across on line (Tank Care Products) who also states 100% Ethanol resistant. I'm not sure how to take that comment though?? I'd rather see the word 'Proof' than resistant. Also Draganfly sell an American product I believe. Never the less, I will only use any of them as a last resort.

Ron

Hey Ron, Drags sells Slosh. Its made in Lincolnshire by rustbuster. I agree with you, I only use sealant if the tank is full of pinholes, I will always try welding first. If rust is the only problem, phosphoric acid normally cures that.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Well I just hosed the tank out after leaving the solvent in overnight as per the instructions. I can still see some areas were the liner is quite thick and still attached at the bottom of the tank. So now got to dry the tank thoroughly and open another fecking twenty quid tin of solvent. Ron

Ron What is the solvent made from, there should be a named chemicle on the tin, might be worth chaseing it down and buy it from a trade outlet.I have avery big lump of petseal in my spare M 20 tank floating about,and three others to remove the stuff from ,as with you Apart from the m20 tank that had pin holes, I only put the petseal in to seal the tanks, JUST IN CASE. You live and learn andrew.h.

It's called 'Methylene Chloride' A friend of mine found a local firm who were prepared to sell us 5 litres for £25. But I didn't follow it up as I'd just spent £60 on these three small tins. I might well see if it's still available. My situation has got even worse now though. The bubble wrap has left an imprint over the top of the tank and looks horrible (who would think that could happen), so this tank will require a re-spray. Ron

Thanks Ron, Will track some down, you could try a little thiners on a rag over the paint, nothing to lose if the alterntive is a repaint,be difficult to mask around the formation and serials, andrew.h.

Ron for 25 litres Its £25, deliverd inc vat, BOY its not nice for even short term exposia take care,andrew.h.

Yes I can't believe the bubble wrap made those marks. Following the instructions, I poured boiling water in the tank to kill the solvent. I replaced the cap and shook the tank. There was an almighty escape of gasses and I think they must have travelled under the bubble wrap. I tried soapy water, WD40, white spirit and finally shit or bust! thinners. Apart from having to re-paint the tank, I had the serial number put on by a sign-writer and I want it done the same again...One step forward and two steps back! Ron

Methylene Chloride is also the main constituent of paint stripper. We used to use it in an industrial process in the pharmaceutical factory I worked in and it was delivered by the tanker full..Could have made myself rich... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1