Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Condition

Hi all
While you all are to be commended for the condition and originality of your bikes i just wondered if any of you run one in oily rag condition.
The forum photo bike looks all there but well used by the looks of the front mudguard.
One old chap i knew said they would put anything that was to hand on to keep them moving and just slap green paint everywhere so where does originality start and stop.
Its a bit like the hammer i have had for 40 years its only had 5 new shafts and two new heads
Yours for now charlie

Re: Condition

My M20 would be best described as a "rolling renovation", parts that were missing will be replaced with new or used as acquired, and re-painted if absolutely needed. Chains, piston rings and gaskets replaced as I have to- tope end pulled for inspection, looked good so valves lapped and replaced, cylinder honed and rings replaced, etc. Bottom end staying in the bike as it seems good, but will flush out the crankcase in situ.
Front mudguard is marginally better that the forum photo, but the multiple shades of green and TP18 painted on the side will stay as is, and only add to the character. Rear mudguard staying put, but toolbox, rear license plate and a few stays were missing and have been acquired. It will never be concours, stripped and repainted down to bare metal, but arguably will retain much original character.
Will it ever be stripped down completely? Likely not, right now I'm more concerned about returning it to one piece in running, reliable condition. Hopefully by the spring I will be able to ride it again!
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Hey Charlie, here are two oily rag bikes I have.
The G3L doesn't get used so much now as the paint is wearing thin now. The G3 is more or less the condition it was when the TA had it and its mainly used for winter transport.Its usually a lot dirtier than this.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

I have a friend who was an MP with the BAOR and he said they kept their bikes fully 'bulled up'..including polished brass work...Though that was post war so I guess they had more time! My M20 started off as an oily rag job when I bought it 30 years ago..then I rebuilt it to 'ex factory' type spec... Years later it was back to oily rag so was rebuilt again to 'ex factory'..Now it's back to oily rag, but it's due to be rebuilt again next year...
So it's a case of when you happen to bump into me! ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

My dirty bike in Fresney-le-Puceux 2011.

Henk

Dirty BSA in Normandy

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

though my bike was repainted when i brought it i have not really cleaned it since so its slowly getting into oily rag condition which i want

This is mine after a ride in our local forest....

Norton WD16H-1

In my opinion, motorbikes should be on the road instead of a museum

email (option): snvosselman@hotmail.com

The bikes on the photo's still look quite nice and shiny to me.

I know I've just got it back on the road( oily rag rebuilt engine) but mines been out 10 of the last 14 days sleet ice mud and rain. Did rinse and WD it though
Cheers Pat (and festive greetings)

I don't bother with the rag. i just put a piece of cardboard under it to catch the leaks.

email (option): v8zspeed@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1