Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Let there be light

At last! After about a three week exercise, I now have a fully charging G3. The complete charging system was shot. So with a professionally re-built dynamo and one of Sean Hawkers solid state regulators hidden inside my MCR1 box....all is well. I think this is the first time the battery has had a jolt since I've owned the bike.
If it stops charging now for any reason. I'll simply do what others do and make sure the battery is fully charged and try not to ride at night

While I was at it, and to stop the cow pats of semi fluid grease appearing under the bike. I removed the gearbox and fitted a sealed bearing at the sprocket end of the main shaft. It seems that for this application, Matchless used a standard bearing that was then modified by having the inside diameter ground to fit a larger shaft. My local bearing firm was able to do this for me.
Has anyone ever bought these off the shelf anywhere?
I didn't even try the usual Matchless suppliers as I doubt very much that they would keep a sealed bearing in stock. So a £15 bearing cost me £50. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Let there be light

At noon on Christmas Day, lets everyone raise their hands in the air.

As Confucius say: "Many hands make light work."

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hey Ron, Ariel or rather Burman used that bearing in all CP boxes, the bearing is an N1540. I don't know if anyone can supply a sealed version. Drags makes a modern seal replacement kit for the CP, which also fits the Matchless CP. All my G3/G3Ls have these seals fitted and all boxes are leak free (at the moment).
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Thanks Mick. My bearing dealer read the number and just lifted one off the shelf. Then discovered the modification. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think they were all on drugs at Plumstead..Put the dynamo where it can't be accessed, use a non standard bearing in the box for no particular reason, fit the wheel bearings in backwards, throw in a handful of fiddly loose spacers and then make 5 versions of everything..Good job they weren't trying to be awkward ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

True, but then BSA went and mounted their magnetos with a strap instead of bolt on!

Nieuwe pagina 1