Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smiths speedo face

I am looking for a Smiths chronometric speedo face for a war time Smiths speedo. Does any have one for sale?

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Smiths speedo face

Do you need one to make up a unit for overhaul...or a good one to do it yourself...?..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,

I bought an old sorry looking speedo that I want to repair. I probably have enough parts to fix it up but it came with a rather strange speedo face that I want to replace. It's probably a locally made one to convert a war time speedo to kilometers. Here a photo of it.

Henk

Smiths speedo face

What a nice dial, Henk.

Have you researched v/d Meulen ?

He seems to have called himself a Norton importer in 1947.

http://www.eindhoven-in-beeld.nl/picture/number877.asp

Funny,
In this kind of conversion, the face would show Km/H,
But the odometer would still show Miles,
Unless gears would changed inside, which probably weren’t..

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Hi Rik,

Yes I did google this guy and also found the Norton information. I wouldn't mind to get this speedo face to anybody interested in this piece of history. But I first have to find a proper Smiths one myself.

Henk.

Hi Noam,

I did check that and the odometer is still in miles.

Henk

You would simply mark the kilometres at the correct speeds on the face. For instance most modern trucks have a duel face with MPH and KPH. Therefore 70 KPH reads as 56MPH.....I think.
Anyway these MPH faces are available from the speedo guys David Woods and Ashley Popple and the like.
I don't know if they are repro or restored originals. But I'm sure they should have second had faces kicking about. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Henk WM20 2415
Hi Rik,

Yes I did google this guy and also found the Norton information. I wouldn't mind to get this speedo face to anybody interested in this piece of history. But I first have to find a proper Smiths one myself.

Henk.

See, I already regret ever having sold it to Henk!!
(because the Norton history) no, hope he gets it working alright.

How did the bezel unscrew??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

By destroying it. It was damaged already and it was really TIGHT on the body. It was the wrong one anyway. But to be honest I only have a damaged wrong one to put back on it. So next to the speedo face I also need a bazel for it

Henk

Ron Pier
You would simply mark the kilometres at the correct speeds on the face. For instance most modern trucks have a duel face with MPH and KPH. Therefore 70 KPH reads as 56MPH.....I think.
Anyway these MPH faces are available from the speedo guys David Woods and Ashley Popple and the like.
I don't know if they are repro or restored originals. But I'm sure they should have second had faces kicking about. Ron

Ron, you would get a speeding ticket in Holland!, but 70mph. is 112kmph. 60 mph. is 96kmph.
56mph. is 89,6kph. or one mile is 1,6 kilometers.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Yes Lex I've sort of forgotten the conversions. I know that the trucks on our roads are restricted to 56 MPH which must equate to 90 KPH and not 70 as I guessed.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1