Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Am I missing something? 4 way light switch

OK ok, its a sunday and my brain is in slow gear today, but I seem to be having difficulties in wiring my light switch so that it works as it should. In essence, looking at the wiring diagram the main feed for the light switch comes from the ammeter and this goes to terminal No3. Good, thats clear, next position from off is T but the bridge from the No3 power is way over between terminals 4 and 5, so no way will it power up terminal 5 as the power is at 3! I am sure I am missing something here. Of course I could bridge a wire from 3 to 4 but then I will have pilot light on as well as tail. Thats not a bad thing, but its not as it should be according to the diagram. HELP!!!!!!!!

Photobucket

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Am I missing something? 4 way light switch

Lucas switches have an internal connection between the roller and pin 5. That should help you get your head around things.

ChrisJ

Does your switch have a post with a nut on it with a metal strip bearing on to the centre of the switch, if so then put the live from the ammeter to 4 the side light to 3 the mainbeam to 5 and the rear light and speedo wire to the nut on the post so that when the switch is turned to either the side or main the centre will power up via the strip the rear and speedo lights.

This is the post-war wiring diagram so won't include the 'T' (tail) convoy lamp position.

If you're using a 'T' switch then that has to be wired according to the wartime diagrams but they generally don't have a dip switch so it's necessary to combine the two.

You'll need to run the tail lamp from position 1, and a bridge from 7 to 3.

I'll scan in an wartime diagram.

Guys thanks a lot for the input. I actually conceded and bridged a wire to the tail light terminal and side light. The fact that this is a post war diagram is the vital bit of information that was missing and doing my head in! Anyway, alls well that ends well, I have lights in the right position on the switch now all I need is a horn which was working but has now decided to stop. will get there in the end. thanks a lot

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

This is a wartime diagram from the Norton manual (but will be standard Lucas Magdyno)

Photobucket

I don't think that I've ever seen an early war diagram showing the 4-position switch with a dip switch as the dip switch was deleted during 1940 and prior to this, the published material seemed to have retained the pre-war civilian diagram.

Nieuwe pagina 1