Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taps and dies

If anyone is looking for taps and dies...even the obscure ones..I would recommend The Tap and Die Company (London)...www.tap-die.com 0208 8881865.
I've used them a lot in the past and have just bought a new 3/4x20 die from them. Prices are reasonable in the more usual sizes..though they rapidly escalate when you get to 9/16 or larger...Saying that though, I don't suppose they sell large quantities of obsolete Cycle Thread taps and dies in larger sizes!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Taps and dies

Ian, what would be the size, do you think, for the Mag opening on the timing cover?

Not sent from IPhone.....

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Hi Henri..We discussed this previously and it took a bit of working out. It is a non standard thread. I think Hans did a casing afterwards..I can't remember the size off hand but I'll try to find the relevant information....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, I remember also, but when I measured, I came up with the wrong size. Costly failure on that large tap. It was just a bit too small. Guess I can use it as is though.

I think you had it at 19TPI

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Yes, I made a tap, using a NOS cap for the dimensions. I used common mild steel, supposing that would be hard enough for cutting alloy. The flutes were cut with an angle grinder (aaarrrgggghhhh... ), and the hole in the cover was bored on the Myford lathe.
Did two covers with that tap, could probably do a few more, but it is a tedious job

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Well I screwed (!?!!) up on the size. Obtained a 1 3/4 OD on the tap only to come short by 1/16th. And for some reason, the thread was 18 on that tap. I am going back to the Indian project! There, take that BSA!

hi hans,not trying to be a smart arse,but if you were proficient enough to set the timing case up in your lathe to bore the hole,why did you not screwcut the thread while it was there.you obviously know what you wanted to achieve with your tap,so why not make it from a carbon steel and heat treat it,not rocket science and cutting aluminium would have lasted a lifetime.please dont take this the wrong way
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Yes, that was my first idea, to do the boring and threading in one operation! But I had no suitable boring tool to mount in the headstock, so I had to use a boring bar between centres, and it took a LONG time only to get a starting thread.
So then I decided to make that tap using a cut off of steel from the scrap box, because a lump of suitable tool steel in the right size was an expensive PITA !
And the number of holes to make would anyhow be very little.

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nieuwe pagina 1