Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winter's on its way.

Distinctly parky out here in Belgium today, although it looked warmer than it was. I managed about three quarters of an hour before I stopped to take a photograph and realised that my fingers didn't work anymore.

Photobucket

Nothing for it but to turn for home and as the sole representative of the BEF east of the Dyle Line, I took it upon myself to authorise the issue of a rum ration.

The field tracks around here are really greasy and slippery. I think that I'll have to look for some 'comp' tyres in 3.25x19. The soles of the 'Boots, ankle, DMS' weren't much better when I started dabbing, either...

Anyone else been out on the old clunkers this weekend ?

Re: Winter's on its way.

Well done Rik, glad to see it's back on the road and looking good. I like the improvised pillion seat Where's your field stand gone..?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Ah I see now... to make room for the pillion footrest

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

The bike is looking nice Rik, how is it running with the new guide etc.?...Unfortunately I spent the weekend working on someone elses engine so didn't get out at all.. ...Saying that the sleeve gear bushes in the M20 gearbox are rattling about and I have to look at the dynamo to see where the voltage has gone and fit a new headlamp glass and rim to replace the blackout..The one consolation for the poor weather is that I generally head for one of my favourite off road tracks when it is nice and muddy..
Hopefully the M20 can take a bit more abuse before it comes off the road in the spring for a major overhaul..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Some of us are getting our bikes out tomorrow for the funeral of a veteran in Buckfastleigh, the forcast isn't looking good but it has to be done. Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

A smart machine Rik

I must get details from you of the BEF route, am thinking of an alternate 2nd French trip this year

Is it possible to incorporate the ww1 fields in this route, I would like to see some of the areas fought in by the Irish Regiments in the great war & war cemeteries too. your local knowledge would be great

Any website or books anyone can recommend to me on this would be much appreciated

They have been forgotten largely as a result of the " political" situation which ensued in Ireland after 1922 and only now some 90 years later are people discovering that relatives have been lying forgotten in fields far from home

The closure of our local garrison in Clonmel after 350 years is also driving me to re-discover the involvement of my own townspeople, the Celtic tiger is taking no prisoners !!

For any WW1 enthusiast the following is a site which I have found to be of interest, especially my home town listings

Www.irishwarmemorials.ie

Jo'b

As I said, any info, books or Internet would be much appreciated

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I spent best part of today in a friends heated Mercedes when we went to buy him a WD Triumph from Pete Brown.
My friend has seen the light and realises that there is more to motorcycling than shiny bikes. He now has a project with June 2014 in mind. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Took the bike for a spin in the sea today.
Well not an army trim bike but still an ex WD one...

Photobucket

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

I hope you had a thick T shirt on Kostas..it looks freezing .. ..Ian

Do they salt the roads over on that side of the world?
Over here, they cover the roads with it at the first hint of snow...
That happened a couple of days ago, so the bikes and the MX-5 get put up until the spring rains...

email (option): baatfam@sbcglobal.net

The field stand has indeed temporarily made way for the pillion footrest. No extra lug on 1939/40 frames. Once the stand was off, I had to remove the spring clip for safety's sake. The pillion pad is a purpose made thing with half round clamps underneath that I bought NOS at Netley for £10. It looks a bit odd but I wanted to be able to give the kids a run on the back without taking off the carrier and drilling the mudguard.

The bike's running quite well (or at least it was once I'd got it started. It had a sump full of cold 40 weight when I first tried and I couldn't spin it fast enough). It is, judging by the blow-back, still over-fuelling. I'm going to try a long mixing chamber nut on it but that shouldn't be necessary. It also had a bit of a tendency to pink on full advance today. (Fuel left a few weeks in the tank ?)It ran quite happily up to an indicated 60mph this afternoon but is a little tingly through the left hand grip at that speed.

A BEF route isn't easy John, they were on the receiving end of the 'Sikelschnitt' arrows that you see at the start of 'Dad's Army'. If you want to look at WW1 cemeteries then, God knows, there are enough of them where the 1940 BEF also fought in West Flanders and Northern France. I'll work something out for you.

Kostas, if you rode the bike 'in' the sea then you'll have even more salt on it than I do. How is the 'family' 16H ? Are you enjoying it ?

They have indeed salted the roads here Bob which is why the 16H came out and the not the Tarty Commando.

One of the nice things about a WD bike is that even if I follow the Task System, I don't have to polish it every time it gets dirty. It does live in the warm though so serious corrosion is not really a problem.

Hello John , close to where i live there are some ww1 pleases related with Irish ww1 Regiments. Mesen has a big Irish monument and a Irish pub!

Guy

email (option): guy66@skynet.be

guy
Mesen has a big Irish monument and a Irish pub!Guy

That doesn't help much, John doesn't drink !

Hi guy

A missed opportunity it seems :-)

Next time I go through & stop at yours, maybe you could show me where this place is if not too far from you

Ok I admit, I do like a beer or 2, so the Irish bar sounds good for after

Thanks for the info

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hope all is well with you guys. The tree is decorated, the stockings are hung, wife is working on crafts, it's sunny and calm and 36 degrees outside, and I finally have a few minutes to myself, what do I do?.....Kick the bike over and go for a ride!! I'm still trying to squeeze every last ounce of no snow on the ground here in Maine.

Was also away in the cold Ardennes,

But we had a good time, the oil in the 16H needed half an hour before it would run properly!!

And I needed half an hour to warm up after the run!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Alex..It looks like the Ardennes are suffering from a lack of snow this year like many of the European Ski resorts...It's not like your 'Big 4' pictures from last time! ...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1