Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Original M20 photo

While looking through the pictures Trevor Davies brought round there was this one.
On the back of the picture it says;

"1944 Northolt Airfield
This was the photo the newspaper wanted.
(Dispatch rider - Colin Morgan)"

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Original M20 photo

Very nice picture, thanks.

Is the number on the tank 4170549? and can you make out the number on the white over blue tank marking from the original photo?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Next door to me :-)

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Yes that is the number Rob, not sure about the other... maybe 44- could be an 8, 9 or 0. I would say 0

Here's a close-up

Photobucket

Hi Rob..That is the C Number..The marking over the badge isn't absolutely clear but it is 44.then possibly 8?..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A 1940 bike that's been rebuilt with later tank and headlamp, together with a painted engine but still seems to have retained the original census number.

The Home Forces Markings instructions for 1942 lists 400 - 449 as Royal Signals (which we can see anyway) but lists few actual examples.

Oh Rik !!
I was noting the same things as you, what does the future hold for me, a lifetime of riveting ? :-D

Interesting you mention royal signals, I met an ex DR in the local cafe one day who was stationed in northolt and was attached to this division / regiment ?

A big fan of BSA he was :-)

Great photo

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Would the 449 have been Red numbers on the blue/white square? I might put it on my G3. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

John O'Brien
Oh Rik !!
I was noting the same things as you, what does the future hold for me, a lifetime of riveting ? :-D

Interesting you mention royal signals, I met an ex DR in the local cafe one day who was stationed in northolt and was attached to this division / regiment ?

A big fan of BSA he was :-)

Great photo

Jo'b

No hope for you then John. Once you start looking at these old pictures through the metaphorical Bob Currie magnifying glass, you just keep seeing more and more, and you're done for !

Ron, absolutely regarding the red numerals. As far as I can tell, signals always used red after the move to the blue / white background.

Photobucket

I don't know what this particular rider would have belonged to. Area signals within the Command at a guess.

Has he got a peak on his helmet?

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Yes it looks like a peak, I'm wondering what that is on the post on the right?

Is it some sort of junction box for the land lines ?

I've been squinting at the photo again. The triangular formation sign worn by the signalman on the lorry is the right shape for Air Formation Signals but I can't reconcile the colours.

2nd Line of Communication HQ Signals became part of 21st Army Group in 1943 and went to France in 1944 with the AoS '449' on their vehicles. Is this a pre-invasion photo ?

It's a nicely composed scene, whatever. A bit of everything.

It does say on the back of the phoito "This was the photo the newspaper wanted" so there must have been something written about it.

But look what I've found, I googled Colin Morgan Royal Signals and this came up

http://www.royalsignalsassociation.co.uk/WebSite/index.php/memorial?id=8

There's a picture and it says;

"The photograph shows five members of the Air Formation Signals Association who, as young men, were

members of the Bar-None Club. From left to right Gerald Evans, Dennis Egan, Chris Collier, Tom Fearon and Colin Morgan." Which would tie in with why Trevor Davies had the photo as he was talking to Bar-None club members and army speedway riders.

why has he got 2 armbands on is he a special DR

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Roger, all Royal sigs wore two armbands when carrying dispatches,and were Not to be stopped by anyone. Even The M P s, Rarely stopped them,needless to say they wore them all the time dispatch or no dispatch !! andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1