Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Valve lifter cable question

I have just received my new valve lifter cable and when trying to screw it into the special engine bolt the hexagon and cable fouls on the crankcase! Am I missing a spacer to hold the bolt out further from the crankcase?

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Valve lifter cable question

Andrew, the M20 valve lifter was never the best design in the world. I got mine working ok like this. Without going to the shed for a look, I have a feeling, the special bolt has a slight bend at the end where the cable fits, which must face the correct way? Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The cable adjuster fouling against the engine case is the symptom: The cable inner appears to be too long causing the adjuster to be run all the way out to compensate.

Is lifter arm starting from the correct position...?

Pattern cable is possibly not quite to spec. Getting a proper fit seems common with most if not all repro cables I have purchased.

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

The flats on the engine plate bolt that the lifter cable screws into are machined at an angle to the axis of the bolt and must be fitted the correct way up to tilt the cable adjuster away from the cases.
Original bolts also have sufficient length to allow a spacer to be fitted under the head, further helping clearance for the cable, whilst still having full engagement of the nut at the other end...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Asa always, a great response and thank you very much all of you. I will take a look at the bolt tomorrow but I suspect that I have not noticed the "cant" and turning it through 180 degrees may solve it, if not I can put a washer or two underneath although I rather think this is a bit heath robinson if its not meant to be!

Hi Andrew..I have never checked the parts lists to see if an additional spacer was used...but it is interesting that the bolt is sufficiently long to accomodate one. However, this extra length may have been a 'throwback' to when the top engine plate cover was fitted on earlier models, as the lifter bolt passed through that plate.
I turned up a spacer of the appropriate thickness to fit in mine..at one stroke improving the clearance for the lifter and eliminating the unsightly exposed threads at the other end.
Rather than being a 'Heath Robinson' fix I thought it a rather elegant solution to two problems at the same time.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, I shall fire up the lathe tomorrow then!! thanks a lot

Nieuwe pagina 1