Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2K or not 2K

With a re-paint on the M20's winter programme, I've been doing a spot of homework and wondered what you think and what you may have found over time.

For an even and reliable colour, I've gone for the recommended Olive Drab from Jeep Parts UK, but the problem seems to lie with it reacting with petrol due to it being single-pack and am I right in thinking that it's more susceptible to moisture?

So, I paid a visit to this paint-shop guru that I know and he gave me some Lechler Matt Lacquer to try. Out of the tin it's more of a satin finish, even on a silver boot-floor that he'd just painted it looked way to shiny, so I mixed in 30% matt additive and hey presto, it looks like the original Jeep Parts paint but has the durability of 2K lacquer.

When he's restoring something he waits a week after priming before colour-coat and a further week after colour-coat before the final lacquer. He recommends 3 coats of colour to allow for a decent scotching to give the lacquer a good key.

I have a photo showing a spray-card with matt lacquer, matt lacquer + 30% additive and original colour but damn Photobucket won't allow an upload at the mo!

Any thoughts?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: 2K or not 2K

Here's a pic of the spray-card courtesy of Tinypic. The top is the matt lacquer, middle is the standard Jeep Parts paint and the bottom is the matt lacquer + 30% additive. The flash makes the top bit look a different shade, but in reality is the same.
Please ignore the lunar-landscape finish as I didn't strain/key or sand plus for sheer laziness I used my primer-gun.

could you brush paint these lacquers on

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Hi Roger

It's spray only I'm afraid. I've tried touching-in small, thumb-nail sized areas and even then, it shows the brush marks. The matt lacquer is easier to spray than full-gloss though.

Hi Lee, just seen your thread, I did both of my bikes in 2pack as its a pretty hardy paint and used a matting agency that you mix in to take the top off the gloss to give it that eggshell/satin finish. It can be a bit fiddly when you are spraying all the bits at different times as you are using an activater/hardener so you need to keep a measure of the colour to thinner to activater to matting agency ratio. Of course as well, don`t leave any paint in the gun because you will soon end up with solid blob. After all this, its still a very good paint and should be able to put it over most types without reaction and you can experiment what level of finish you want. Ian.

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

That's good to hear, Ian.
It's all very well getting paint onto a spray-card but longevity is another issue and It's good to know that your paint still looks spot-on.

ps. Great looking bikes.

Many thanks Lee, to be fair they don`t get exposed to the elements on a regular basis but really enjoy riding them which is what its all about. Good luck with the painting, regards, Ian.

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1