Boyer brandsen
Pazon

Or are there other alternatives I should consider

Any views much appreciated

Many thanks

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Electronic ignition - off topic

I used to fit loads of these when I worked at Greenlooms classics, I never had a problem with them and they do have a dedicated helpline and will test units for free if you think they are faulty. I'm sure that there are others out there that are equally as good, but Boyer have been going for years, so they must be doing something right>

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

The analogue Boyer does have a sensitivity to low battery voltage which results in full advance and a hefty whack when trying to start.

I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on Boyers without significant problems other than the physical connections but it does seem that the newer systems such as the Pazon Sure-Fire have answers to the low voltage problem and advance curves more appropriate to individual models.

I think that I'm going to try a Pazon on the Comm-an-go next time I've got money burning a hole in my pocket.

Rik is correct about Boyers being sensitive to low voltages. If the voltage drops below a certain threshold (8 or 9 or 10 volts or something), starting can be a pain. Or even if the battery is just a little weak, they can give you problems. I've got two T140s running Boyers, and the system does work. But there's room for improvement.

Pazons are, I think, built by the guy or guys who designed Boyer system and developed those improvements. That's the word, anyway.

Lucas Rita systems, however, are said by some to have a better advance curve than a Boyer, but I'm not sure if it's possible to fit one to your bike.

Lastly, there's still something to be said for points; they help keep you "in touch" with your bike. I once test rode a Triumph TR65 Thunderbird that had around 20,000 miles on the original points (or so the owner said). The bike ran like a dream.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Hi John..If your original components are missing/knackered an electronic unit will readily solve that problem...If your auto advance is in good condition and not too many of the other components are 'dead' why not go with the original system?...You might need to look at the points now and again but the original 12V systems were pretty reliable on the whole...I've covered a lot of trouble free miles on original equipment coil systems.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Does the T100R set up have separate plates for each set of points ? It's never nice having to split the difference. Early Commando ATDs were diabolical and they were all prone to wear - perhaps due to being shaken around on the end of a chain-driven camshaft.

I went electronic early on when I found out what new ATDs cost all those years ago. Are they still available ?

hi john, that triumph i was on when you came down has boyer fitted...power box etc.
i've had it on for 10 years and its excellent..

email (option): chris.astinbarke@btinternet.com

The Boyer advances the ignition when the voltage drops to allow for a slower spark buildup, so it advances to allow for it otherwise it would be too retarded. I think it is one of the cheapest (and most reliable) on the market.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

The Boyer is the biggest load of crap I've ever had the misfortune to have on a bike..! I had 1 on my Commando years ago, and had nothing but trouble, vicious kick back and other starting problems. I junked it and went back to points which I've never really had a problem with. But recently I've had the odd occasion when I was knackered trying to start it (probably my age), so I've just changed to a Tri-Spark electronic ignition system. It is unbelievable..! The bike starts before I've even got to the bottom of the kick-start stroke, and I am only running a 12v 6amp battery. Twice the price but twice as good. No black box to hide, everything is in the points cover. 1 of the old points wires is used as the power in and the other out. It loops from 1 coil to the other then earth. The wiring is as simple as that.

I've just restored a MKIII Commando, and that had a Boyer on it, again nothing but trouble. I changed everything to try and eliminate the problem. I bought a Tri-Spark and put it on, and it has transformed the bike into something you want to ride. I've just sold it and the buyer has called in a few times to tell me how brilliant the ignition system is. If you're going to keep the bike, do yourself a favour, spend the extra and get a Tri-Spark.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I got good results with the Pazon as well after fitting one to a B33 Sprinter that I have done a fair bit of work on for a customer. The bike is sprinted, does track days and is also road registered...
Power consumption is low compared to the Boyer..the bike runs off a small, jelly burglar alarm battery and will cover 150-175 miles on a charged battery.(there is no charging system).
The electronics have so far been 100% reliable over the 2 years it has been operational.
The Interspan unit is also very good with a very low power consumption..but expensive.
Although the Boyer has been improved over the years it's 'achilles heel' was definitely its high voltage requirement..so I would at least check that situation has been addressed before considering one...
I want to try an electronic ignition on one of my magneto equipped bikes...mainly to assess the benefits of a proper advance curve.
However, there is no way I am going to tie my ignition to a dynamo/regulator system..'Self Generating' mag conversions are in the pipeline and I will try one of those when they become generally available..
However,at the end of the day I think long term reliability is the most important consideration...Ian

Hi All

as usual great to see so many opinions and personal experiences on this topic, I appreciate this very much

Ian, you have made me think of the "whats wrong with orginal set up" a bit more for sure

One way or other, a decision to be made this week so we can breathe fire into her again over Christmas

Thanks chaps

Jo'B

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John, I stuck with points for years and there's nothing wrong with that set up as long as you don't mind checking them every now and then and you don't round off all the screws by over tightening them. You will always get home with points whereas you wont with a black box failure, which I did see on a blokes Triumph while touring around France once. But that was a very long time ago and I think the reliability has improved greatly since then. I have a Harley Heritage Softail which I've had for 20 years, it's got elec ign, I couldn't tell you what it looks like, I've never taken the cover off..! So I would say it's reliable.

Pazon I've heard is good but never tried it. I notice it's the only elec ign that Andover Norton sell, but there are 2 different types. The bog standard one for about £120 inc VAT and the Pazon Altair which is about £200 inc VAT. The Tri-Spark is about this price and as I've said it's brilliant. So you've got your budget elec igns and your good ones. You get what you pay for.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

These after market systems are far more reliable these days..but I hesitate to compare them directly with factory units which have probably been developed with far greater resources and possibly, with better components. My brother in law, (an electronics boffin) took one to pieces for me and looked at the circuitry design and components..Whilst he concluded the design of that particular unit was good he commented it had been 'built to a price' in terms of components and could have stood some improvement.. but of course, it is never safe to generalise and how well they work is the only true measure...I used the less expensive Pazon unit on the sprinter..I think it was the 'Surefire' if memory serves. Both versions are digital but the more expensive one has programmable advance curves. That sounds good..but if you don't know what you want and don't have access to a dyno to test the various settings it is a waste of money.
We took the sprinter to the dyno for initial setting up after I tuned the engine...but at £30 an hour you didn't want to hang about experimenting for too long!
(got 41.5 BHP at the engine...not bad for an old slogger).. ...Ian

now i know i brought a boyers unit for a BSA B40 i had i couldnt get it to run properly if i timed it to run nice i couldnt start it if i set it so it started after a few kicks it was to advanced turning it into a thumper

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Hi John, Pazon is really nice made kit, had it on my Rickman 8 valve and was a big improvement to the Lucas rita.

Guy

email (option): guy66@skynet.be

Nieuwe pagina 1