Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hello! And where to go from here with my M20?

Hello gentlemen...name's Bob and I happen to have a '41 M20 in bits...
My Dad picked it up in the early '70s, not running, but all together, painted some horrid blue metal-flake...
Dad gave it to me sometime in the mid 90s...Thinking I was going to get it running, I started tearing it down, but finances and moving put that on hold.

So...I now have the time and funds to make another go at this...

Here is what I started with:

So far I've stripped down the frame, gently blasted it, had one fractured joint brazed and primed it.

Engine Number is: WM20.24552
Frame Number is: WM20.321 31 or 113 310 (see picture below)

So my first question is...how to approach this?
My thought is to just clean everything and try to assembly it so I know what's missing, what doesn't work, etc.

Thoughts?

Any and all help or encouragement appreciated...

email (option): baatfam@sbcglobal.net

Re: Hello! And where to go from here with my M20?

Hi Bob..and welcome to the forum. There are various ways you could go about the restoration of the M20..and you have made the right start.
First I would determine what year it was manufactured..that will lead to a specification if you want to restore it as 'standard'.
Then you can start to look at what you have and decide what is right, what is wrong and what is serviceable.
As you have started on the frame, one way to go is to put the engine and gearbox to one side for now and concentrate on the rolling chassis.
Blast the parts you decide you are going to use and just apply a light coat of primer to protect them.
Then, gradually build up the rolling chassis..this way you can do any minor repairs as you go along, check the fit of everything and source any parts that need replacing. When you have a complete 'dry built' chassis..then strip it down and apply all the paint and correct finishes to the various parts as required and build it back up. Once you have a bike to look at and not just a pile of bits you will then be more keen to get into the engine, gearbox etc.
Source all the written information you can..Factory worksheets, parts lists etc. to provide you with some information and descriptions for when you are ordering or looking for parts....and ask as many questions as you want on this forum...it is one of the best 'knowledge' sources around!....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the advice, Ian...

I was actually planning on looking into the engine/trans first...build it from the center out, but I like your idea of building the rolling chassis first.

Winter is coming, I need something to do, and my other bikes are good to go...
(Well, except for an '82 Suzuki I need to get together and get rid of )

I'll be around,
Bob

email (option): baatfam@sbcglobal.net

Hey Bob,

AMEN to what Ian has said. That man is a genius and prolly knows more about these than anyone on the planet!

The members here are always glad to help in any way possible.

Your project looks like a great deal of fun!

Cheers,

Robb

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1