Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pillion seat mounts

Are the lugs on the front of this pillion seat in the correct position? It seems a daft question but they look as though they've been in this position for quite some time and I'm hate to straighten them if this is how they're meant to be.
Also, after looking at Ron's pic on the Pannier Frame post,I see there's also lugs at the rear that attach to the pannier frame - would this be the same on a '44?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Pillion seat mounts

Hi, that seat looks familiar! I'd think they were spread out a little more, do you have any holes in your mudguard that you could line them up with? The rear holes attach to the top of the rack which make it look a bit unusual as you'd expect it to bolt directly to the mudguard at the rear

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Lee, just tap those lugs straight before you drill your mudguard. Someone must have twisted them round like that for there own purposes.
Not quite sure which lugs you are referring to at the back? You must have two L shaped lugs on each side of the carrier for the pannier frame to attach too. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

They are the ones I mean, they sit the seat as if it is "flying" at the back

Hi Lee..You should have two brackets at the rear of the seat of a similar pattern to the front ones you pictured. The back ones attach to the brackets welded to the pannier rack 'arch'. Fitment is the same for all years that are pillion equipped....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Here's a couple of pics from the rear. Would the lug dimensions be the same as the front? Also, are the rear lugs riveted to allow pannier frame clearance?

Hi Dave. I'm guessing the seat is one & the same. It's gone to a good home and at the mo I'm trying to breathe new life into the seat cover as part of my job involves automotive leather repairs and I love the way it looks.

Hi Lee, the lugs are of the same pattern as the front ones (width, radius on the ends etc. and they are rivetted to the base piece. However from memory I think mine have a slight 'dog leg' in them to clear the pannier rack and the lengths may not be identical. The best way is to rivet on new lugs, leaving them well over length and then mount the seat to the bike and trim/drill etc. the ends to suit...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

On my earlier type saddle they are a similar length as the front ones and have a similar dog leg as the fronts

I can photograph my identical seat this morning as its off the bike. Will post later.

A

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

hope these help. e mail me if you like if you need any more details.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks Andrew, that's spot-on.
If your seat is still to hand, have you got the measurement between the centre of the rivet to the centre of the hole that bolts to the pannier frame?

Ah Lee! That's what threw me earlier. I see you are calling the rear carrier, "the pannier frame". Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

its 1 3/8 in, same front and back as it happens. Obviously there is a 1/16th or so of variation between each one, but the average is 1 3/8 .

Many thanks Andrew.

Sorry Ron, my names for things vary greatly and I can only imagine this will get worse as I get down to the nitty-gritty of taking it all apart. Brace yourselves for paragraphs full of 'Thing-a-ma-jig' and 'ooja-ma-flip' I'm still trying to come to terms with threads that aren't metric!

Nieuwe pagina 1