Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Special tools?

Apart from a mag gear puller and any tools specific to dismantling engine & gearbox, are any special tools needed to pull my '44 M20 apart?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Special tools?

Hi, not really, just a set of WW sockets and spanners!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi Lee..Under the 'engine and gearbox' heading (apart from the mag puller) the ones you really should have are a clutch center extactor and clutch spring compressor. Two other useful ones which have to be made up, as they are not available to my knowledge, are a crankshaft pinion extractor and a small end bush extractor/replacer. A good quality set of piston ring compressors should also be on your list if you don't have them.
The cycle parts are easier...the only one really is the steering head cup remover.. Robb on the forum makes these...
I also have the electronic 'magic box' for determining the exact point the contact breakers open which I thought was well worth buying.
Other 'optionals' are C Spanners for tightening the engine shock absorber nut and the clutch center nut..I have a drawer full of special tools I have made for different jobs..but I work on the bikes a lot. Basically, the longer you plan to keep the bike and the more you use it the more it is worth acquiring all the tools gradually...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian

I'm really showing my lack of M20 knowledge now, but does the clutch lurk behind the primary drive cover? If so, do I need the clutch tools to free the engine?

Also, do c-spanners come in different sizes and if so, what size(s) would I need?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Lee...The clutch is indeed inside the primary cases..at least I hope it is.. . You do need to remove the complete primary side to take out the engine or the gearbox..and you will have to do that one day. Embarassingly, I don't know the sizes for the C spanners...I just took the two nuts to a local tool shop years ago and picked some suitable ones...I'll try to put some numbers on them...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, are ring compressors an essential on the M20 ? I've never owned a set and the 16H cylinder goes on easily enough (a damned sight more easily than a Commando barrel anyway).

I did buy a compressor for the 16H but it got in the way more than anything. Two lengths of 1" x 1/2" hardwood across the mouth are the most useful thing.

When I was a teenager, we were firmly of the opinion that 'Real Men' didn't use ring compressors but I must admit that after I broke a cast GPM scraper ring on the 750, I did borrow a set and they made it easier on that engine.

I have bought ring compressors from "Brit Bits" to cover just about every size in my collection, and I don't attempt it without. I just find it too bloody awkward to squeeze then rings in for sake of £7.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Lee,

I make all sorts of special tools for the M20. Steering head bearing remover, a clutch nut tool, the clutch sleeve nut spanner and have a magdyno sprocket tool (needed to time), along with a clutch basket remover.

I have a nifty gage to set the rear frame alignment too.

I also have thread repair kits, and all the taps & dies you will ever need for the bike.

They are designed as I go along on my project.

Cheers,

Robb

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Robb @ British Tool
Hi Lee,

I make all sorts of special tools for the M20. Steering head bearing remover, a clutch nut tool, the clutch sleeve nut spanner and have a magdyno sprocket tool (needed to time), along with a clutch basket remover.

I have a nifty gage to set the rear frame alignment too.

I also have thread repair kits, and all the taps & dies you will ever need for the bike.

They are designed as I go along on my project.

Cheers,

Robb

Robb,

I received the box of tools you sent me in two days, in time to get some work done over the weekend.

I just finished using the headstock bearing race removal tool on two frames and it works a treat! ....nice

Thanks for the quality products and the quick service

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Nieuwe pagina 1