Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Warzone Speedway

I had a really interesting afternoon yesterday, I met a chap called Trevor Davies. He came round my house with original photos and documents that army speedway and dispatch riders have given him, which he has written a book about called Warzone Speedway. I must admit it’s a subject I know nothing about, but his book is full of facts, figures and never before seen pictures from these servicemen.
The pictures of the bikes are brilliant, riders would swap and graft together any part from any make of bike to get it to go faster.
With Trevor’s permission I’ve got to show you some pictures from the book.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love the bike top right, Don Francis special, it’s a 16H bottom end with a Matchless top end. It’s amazing what they did and got it to work well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Trevor met Alan Johnson, and Alan gave him the photo here, along with some copies of Alan’s artwork showing the light blue and white emblem on the tank, which is the same on both sides of the tank.

Photobucket

This is the War Office response to Fred Evans request to set up an army speedway unit in 1939.

I told Trevor about this forum and the wealth of information that people have here. So I twisted his arm and told him we’d send the boys round if he didn’t do us a deal on his book.
So instead of the RRP of £16.99 if any forum members want a copy it will be £15.00 + P&P
It's a good size book with 216 pages and bigger than A4 size.
E-mail me if anyone wants one.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Warzone Speedway

Great book...I'll definitely have one...I'll mail you for payment details/total cost...thanks...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Horror, I'll have a copy, will mail you tonight. I met Alan Johnson and a few of his Bar None mates a few years ago at Longues Battery. They were on a coach trip. Great bunch of fascinaing lads.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

What I dont understand is why you British gents aren't interested in speedway. You have some of the best racing in the world in the British elite and premier league. I thought of moving to England for a while just so I could go to speedway every night of the week. I only get to see one Elite league match on cable TV once a week.
Maybe if they still rode BSAs it might interest you.

Hi Terry...I used to attend Speedway regularly..Exeter Falcons on Monday evenings and before that Plymouth Devils..I don't go often these days...However, as a sport it is still very well supported in the UK..Ian

I'll get an e-mail to you all with the cost, cheers.

You're right Terry, I've been to speedway once or twice when I was a teenager. I'll be honest, I enjoyed walking up and down the pit area looking at the bikes and listening to them being tuned up, and of course the smell of Castrol R, more than I enjoyed the racing. I just love the mechanics of the bikes

The first time I went I found a nice uncrowded spot on the corner to spectate..as the bikes came round on the first lap I got gravel blasted.. ...and realised why I was by myself at that spot... ..Ian

Hi Horror, would love a copy please, I grew up with Speedway from a few years old with my uncle Ray Harris riding in the 50`s onwards including riding for Wimbledon, Swindon and more. A big rider on the Grass Track circuit as well which led me to riding schoolboy Grass Track in the late 70`s. So will drop you an email for details, many thanks, regards, Ian.

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Hi Ian, Thanks for the pictures you sent, what engine is in that bike? I think it says Triumph on the cover but it looks like a BSA?

Hi Dave, I expect you`ve seen email and payment for book thank you, and the engine is a TR25 250, there used to be a 250 BSA in there but I was racing at Painscastle in Wales and the rod broke through the small end and went out through the front below cylinder, obviuosly destroyed it.

Great picture and must have been brilliant fun. I would love to be able to ride like that. Off road riding is not something I've really done, and when I have I've been sh*t scared of the bike slipping. I'm just too used to road riding. I might have to get something I can have a go with around a field

That`s the way to have a go Dave, get something rough and ready and have some fun getting dirty. I know what you mean about on the road, the last thing you want is the back end stepping out, amazing when you watch those GP boys. I know that Chris Walker does a lot of Motorcross through the winter and says it helps a lot with steering the bike whilst cornering on the tarmac. They`re incredible, I`m sure they`re from a different planet

I think the 16H is a bit too valuable to scramble across fields, but that's what it was made for
I've got a BSA B25 in the garden but that's not really a trials bike. I'll have to make sure the field's really muddy as well as I don't bounce like I used too

Hi Horror..I ride my M20 regularly off road..nothing too adventurous..just a bit of fun..Mainly during the winter months when I won't be needing it to go to events/Normandy and it doesn't matter if I get it covered in mud and/or break something.
It would be hard to come up with a less suitable off road bike though..as it is too low, too heavy and under powered. I did enter it in a girder fork trial once...the organiser pleaded as the class was a bit 'thin'...I managed about two or three sections before I ran out of steam...though the M20 was still game.
However, for a bit of muddy green lane work or a not too challenging bit of Dartmoor it is great fun.
If you really can't face doing that to your WD bike..years ago I bought an oldish Bultaco Sherpa..a great off road machine..it was no longer competetive in serious trials so it was cheap!...Give it a go..you'll probably enjoy it!...Ian

I would enjoy it Ian, 1 of the bikes my mate is selling out of his collection is a Greaves trials with some strange fork. I wonder what he wants for it.

Nieuwe pagina 1