Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
timing cover

At this moment I'm rebuilding an M20 engine. The engine was for many years out of working and was found in a shed, very dirty.
This morming I saw that the 'engine shaft oil feed pipe' (the small pipe in the timing cover)was obstructed (glogged by dirt I think). I put some oil (w40)in it and I saw it was clogged.I heated the timing cover and tried to remove the small pipe, but it brokes.
I see in Russell catalogue they have new pipes in stock.
Now the question; What is the best? to look for another (better)timing cover or to repair this one by placing a new pipe.(I think it is difficult to remove the broken piece whitch is still in the cover)and I know it is a very important oilway.
Regards from Belgium, Eric

email (option): ericvangils@skynet.be

Re: timing cover

Now that the quill is broken, you should be able to extract it by using a tool for removing broken bolts. I would fit the extractor into the quill shaft to make sure of a good fit, which might require a bit of drilling to get the extractor in place, then heat the case boss where the quill fits using a torch, while turning the extractor. Be careful not to overheat the extractor or the temper can be lost.

Or you could drill and thread the quill, and make a puller with a small piece of pipe, a washer, and a bolt to extract the quill base. Again, I would use heat to expand the case along with using the puller.

I too have a cover sitting on the bench that needs the quill removed, so it looks like I have the opportunity to practice what I preach...

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

When you have successfully got the remains of the old quill out and have a replacement to hand you will see a hole through the side of it....Make sure when fitting the new quill that this hole lines up with the oil supply hole drilled through the cover which can be seen once the old quill is removed. The holes feed oil into the center of the quill and lining them up correctly ensures that the bulk of the oil supply goes easily and directly through the quill to the big end. A groove machined around the outside diameter of the quill provides a 'bleed off' supply for the cam spindles....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I’m sure I’ve got a cover with broken quill hiding at the back of the shed somewhere so I may well need this repair advice myself one day. But I’m missing something.... if it’s that difficult to remove, I wonder how you press in the new one without damaging it. Heat the cover in the oven first, then gently tap the new quill in with a drop of Loctite to ensure it stays put?? Is it that simple? Please impart just a little more of The Knowledge to your humble servants before we all regret reaching for the 5lb hammer.

ChrisJ

ChrisJ
I’m sure I’ve got a cover with broken quill hiding at the back of the shed somewhere so I may well need this repair advice myself one day. But I’m missing something.... if it’s that difficult to remove, I wonder how you press in the new one without damaging it. Heat the cover in the oven first, then gently tap the new quill in with a drop of Loctite to ensure it stays put?? Is it that simple? Please impart just a little more of The Knowledge to your humble servants before we all regret reaching for the 5lb hammer.

ChrisJ

Heating the cover for sure, and popping the new quill in the freezer prior to installation...

A short length of pipe that will cover the quill shaft and will rest against the quill base, and a few taps with a small sledge should set it home nicely

Mr. Wright... Thank you for the comments about aligning for the oil ways...critical stuff that.

Cheers,

JDE

THANKS all for this information.
Regards from Belgium, Eric

email (option): ericvangils@skynet.be

I don't know if this link will work....may have to copy and paste, but here are some pictures taken by someone else dealing with the same quill removal problem...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ztzXWAv1_fE/TXD9jB67RCI/AAAAAAAABJo/EyMlO4yCgjo/s1600/tulip.jpg

John Edwards

I too have a cover sitting on the bench that needs the quill removed, so it looks like I have the opportunity to practice what I preach...

Update: I decided that today was the day... Since the bent quill in the extra timing cover I have was not broken off, I was able to set the cover in a bench vice so that the jaws had a firm grip along the stem of the quill shaft. I then throughly heated the timing cover in the area of the quill base with a propane torch.

I have no idea how hot the area around the base became, but quite hot...very hot. I then donned some thick gloves, and began by carefully rocking the timing cover to slightly rotate the quill and break it loose. Once loosened, the quill slid easily and cleanly out of the case.

May it go so well for anyone else who might need to replace one...

Cheers,

JDE

Make sure it's placed back TIGHT as I have seen them rotating with the crankshaft spilling the oil leaving the big end with hardly any lubrication. A replacement cover should be easy to find with this tube still firmly in place. I have a few if anybody needs one.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1