Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cyprus Museum

Hi all. I recently returned from a 6 month deployment to Nicosia in Cyprus with the UN (I am with a TA Unit) and visited the little museum in the city centre, which turned out to be a Brit bike fest ! The owner owns 240 bikes in all and all have been restored (or not)as can be seen, by him. Had a great hour there with the owner and one of my colleagues, but didnt get chance to go back before I returned home.

click here to view more http://flic.kr/p/aNs1hi

BSA WM20 very similar to mine." />

Re: Cyprus Museum

Hey Richard. Thanks for the great photo's mate, looks like you had a good time out there. I was stationed with the U.N. on Nicosia airport in 1964-5 when the Greeks had control over the Island but we always used to help out the Turks then, (a very Brit thing to do help out the underdog) Your photo's brought back some memories especially the airport.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Looks great that - thanks for sharing the photos

My pal was stationed in Cyprus for 2 yers - he worked at some kind of army run dive / leisure centre

Now I'm hacked off I didn't visit when I ad chance

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

hey rick ,rick,did you get any work done then? great photos,cant you find any old bikes lying around that old army place or the airport?funny those meals still seem fresh when all else has deteriorated,cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Don't know if you can Richard, but you should try a tour with UNTSO.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

that a good post war green but when i was stationed out there in the late 1960s all vehicles were sand coloured except a large scammel and trailer also i was thinking that the YE registration was allocated to the middle east and that is why there are no key card for YE registrations

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

jOHN, THE WHOLE AREA AROUND THE AIRPORT IS NOW UNDER un CONTROL AND HAS BEEN SINCE 1974. Part of my job was patrolong it. I was based in Blue Beret Camp, just south of the swimming pool. Not much left in that area as the UN troops have 'ceared' the area over the years. Still a few old bikes knocking around on the North side of the city. I guess you checked out all my Cyprus photos on the flickr site then !

Rick, contrary to my photos, I did actually get a lot done out there !! even though the UN is a smaller presence out there now the 2 sides are still griping at each other. But 6 months is a great opportunity to get to see and do a lot of things in your time off, especially on a holiday island. Its weird trying to explain to someone on holiday there that there are effectively 2 military forces of 80-120K each, equiped to kick off at any time, just a few miles north of their beach towel !

Richard. Yes I checked all the photo's, I hope you didn't mind but I was so interested in them, when you say south of the swimming pool, do you mean the swimming pool which was on the airfield? we used to use that one quite regularly. I have some of my old photo's here I will see if I can send you one or two via PM when I can find them then you will see how it used to be.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

there was a large yard near larnaca that belong to Lefkariti brothers transport firm he must have had the contract for all the demobbed vehicles

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1