Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bottom fixing on headlight/blackout

Does anyone have a photo showing the bottom fixing on a blackout mask? My main headlight unit looks to have had a threded lug brazed on the bottom and if I decided to change to a mask, wondered what the fit would be? Ta.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Bottom fixing on headlight/blackout

Lee, the fixing on a DU42 lamp is the same as used for the ordinary rim. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for that Ron. Mine has undergone surgery at some point and looks nothing like the original. Are those clips still available?

Hi Lee, Have you got a DU42 6" headlamp or a DU142 8" headlamp?..Some of the 8" ones had different rim fixings...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think I can vouch that Lee's M20 has a 6" headlamp, having ridden it once
This is the DU142 8" headlamp screw fixing that Ian is referring too. Later DU142's had that same spring clip but I don't know when the change happened. Ron

Photobucket

Peter was selling some of those clips for the 8" NOS.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

These pics show the brazed bottom fixing and a repro mask that I'd like to be able to fit/remove when needed.
I'm not sure if the brazed fixing is an original that's been patched or a later addition, but I'm hoping these pics will help.

Thanks for all the help.

Lee that repro mask of yours is made for the post war MU42 lamp, which has a kind of sprung loaded hook fixing........Why would anyone make such a thing??

Ron

Doesn't the hole in the bottom take the pressed in 'tit' in the flat rim clip?...My original mask that I have just sold had it and also the NOS DU42 rim that I have bought to replace it...Ian

You could be right about that Ian. I was forgetting about the little pip on the clip. It's just that I can't see the little step that is normally on the bottom edge of the rim. It will probable still work ok though. Ian and I have both had issues with getting rims to fit shells. Quite often you will have to adjust the locating flange on the shell with a pair of pliers. Another tip, is to slacken the shell locating bolts before fitting the rim/mask, as these can distort the shell when tight.

Good luck. Ron

I always have problems with the fit of the rims..even when I have had a NOS rim and shell. I have recently had to do a load of 'tweaking' to get a NOS rim to fit a very good used shell in readiness for the rebuild of my M20. I always do these off the bike prior to painting (I've learnt the hard way about that) but it is a good point Ron makes about shell distortion...Even a rim which is made to fit well off the bike could become problematical if the shell is pulled out of shape after fitting... ...Ian

My bottom fixing is a very special one. I guess homemade.
It is a split (splitted?) Rim. Only the clip looks standard.
Ever seen?
Regards, Lammert

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nieuwe pagina 1