Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More from the coal face

Getting near refiting engine. I was going to do this
without Barrel, head and mag. It was a pig to get out
needing to be rolled out sideways and up. I had
removed the front plates and slackened gearbox/frame
bolts. Have I missed something, or is it just practice.
Sorry for the barrage.
Many thanks Pat
PS a previous owner thought UNF and Cycle were interchangeable!!!

Re: More from the coal face

Hi Pat,

I just dropped my egine in. I loosened all the plates, and swung the Right hand plate down and out of the way. I had the mag and cylinder on. I also had help.

Yup, it's surprising how many knuckle draggers there are out there. But...... We are special.

Good luck with your project.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Pat, The engine goes in from the left hand side. On tele fork models the front engine plates can be left off and fitted afterwards...Slacken the rear plate studs and apply a little grease to the inner faces...that just helps things move a little easier.
Fitting the engine without the top half/magdyno is the easiest way for sure from the weight point of view..but makes it a little more difficult when it comes to fitting the barrel and doing the timing. Though that is better if you have a hydraulic bike bench. Also fit the oil pipes afterwards...the lower ends of them can get in the way during fitting..
And don't forget to have a couple of gearbox plate studs to hand to put through once the engine is in place..Find another willing helper as well if you can..it's a lot easier with two pairs of hands..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes I once built my engine complete with mag before fitting....never again! I find it's a lot easier to put the barrel and mag on, in the frame.
It's all right for Ian! His wife is willing to go to the shed and push the studs in while he holds the engine....My wife goes shopping! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Oh dear! Just changed tack, fitted top end ,mag and did timing,as BSA service sheet. The engine feels like it's bolted to the bench.How much does it weigh? I did wonder about puting a couple of lugs under the head bolts and using an engine crane.Will probably just grunt it in.

Nieuwe pagina 1