Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wm3 double checking measurements

Hi,

I am having a new rim constructed for my 1944 bsa m20. It is a 19" WM3 rear wheel. However the manufacturer wants me to double check the rear hub ? diameter wher the spokes meet, and the spindle diamter. The wheel is still on the bike so it is difficult for accurate measuremnt. Does anyon know these offhand?

On a seperate note, everyone is so kind here when they help What is the proper protocol to reply to people when they help? Shoul i just send a reply to their personal email? thanks

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Re: wm3 double checking measurements

hi jeff,nah,just send a fiver or a six pack

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Could I ask you who is doing the job Jeff..and have they started yet?..and what exactly are they doing?..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

buchanan spoke and rims in California. Just creating a steel wm3 rim since mine has a large flat spot. I am then going to put everything back together and powdercoat it. :)

Hi Jeff..Brickwood Rim Company in the UK do a very nice (Devon Rim company) rim 'off the shelf' and they will supply it unpainted/plated..specify Devon Rim Company rim when ordering...Ian

Ian, what about the "butted" spokes??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

once again Ian thanks for the help. That is who I am going to use.

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Hi Lex..I think both Brickwoods and Central Rim Company can supply butted spokes..though personally I wouldn't recommend CRC for wheel rims.
Their rims are not UK made and when the rim is 'rolled up' into a circle prior to welding they are not done accurately. In other words the alignment of the two ends is not accurate. This means that after welding and grinding back there is a pronounced 'kick' in the rim at this point. The last rims I had from CRC were so bad, after fitting and using them for one trip to Normandy I took them off and replaced them.
This is a structural fault and cannot be corrected by the wheel builders.
Devon Rim Company rims are UK manufactured..about 35 miles from where I live in fact.
I have been to their factory more than once.
To date I haven't had a 'bad one' from them in this respect.
I generally buy them from Brickwoods as they do my wheel building..Ian

Here in the Netherlands, JVD Wheels (http://www.jvd-wheels.com/) makes rims in steel (chrome or in the white) and stainless. Also spokes in stainless and galvanized, butted or straight.
They make everything themselves; they have a huge documentation with virtually all models ever made (even for those old 'heel'-type tyres for bicycles and veteran motorcycles).
The rims are so well welded that after finishing it is very hard to find the weld. Only problem: they are in the far north of the country...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Hi Hans..About 15 miles away then.. ..Ian

That's the equivalent of 150 miles in our crowded country

Ah Hans, I didn't know about that address!! thanks, looks good!

"In the white" a nice "gunsmithing" expression!!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Yes, Simon Poelma made the rims for my prize-winning very early Triumph "21"
They had a rather particular hole pattern and lacing, but he had all the details to make it perfect.

Nieuwe pagina 1