Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brass bits on bikes

Hi All,

Please forgive the random nature of this question, but it stems from my previous bezel post - what parts were origianlly brass on a 1944 M20? Speedo bezel, pannier fasteners, mag/air levers?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Brass bits on bikes

It's quite difficult to be specific on dates but it is evident from NOS parts that most of the brass parts on the 276 carbs which were previously dull chrome were left unplated later in the war.

On an M20..carb parts if the same applies..handlebar controls on mid and late war ones, speedo bezel and ammeter bezel..but both of these were painted sometimes...battery carrier nuts (cad plated on earlier ones)..the turning part of both oil and petrol caps..but usually dull chrome plated. ..contract, bore size and workshop plates..lightswitch and ammeter parts..headlamp reflectors..but silvered..speedo drive worm gear plug..clutch casing inspection plug..petrol taps..but plated..oil, crankcase breather pipe and petrol pipe nuts and ferrules..cable nipples..dynamo retaining strap trunnions..but often cad plated..split wiring terminals.. battery carrier strap trunnions..but often cad plated..pannier carrier wing nuts (sometimes)..pannier bag and strap fittings..rear brake rod wingnut...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
On an M20..carb parts if the same applies..handlebar controls on mid and late war ones, speedo bezel and ammeter bezel..but both of these were painted sometimes...battery carrier nuts (cad plated on earlier ones)..the turning part of both oil and petrol caps..but usually dull chrome plated. ..contract, bore size and workshop plates..lightswitch and ammeter parts..headlamp reflectors..but silvered..speedo drive worm gear plug..clutch casing inspection plug..petrol taps..but plated..oil, crankcase breather pipe and petrol pipe nuts and ferrules..cable nipples..dynamo retaining strap trunnions..but often cad plated..split wiring terminals.. battery carrier strap trunnions..but often cad plated..pannier carrier wing nuts (sometimes)..pannier bag and strap fittings..rear brake rod wingnut...Ian

Did all canvas handgrips have brass ferules?

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

No, I have some cadmium plated steel ones

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thanks chaps. How is the main body of the petrol and oil tank caps finished? I've seen them green, red and yellow!

Hi Lee..All external parts of the caps were finished in dull chrome, including the brass bit...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

i think you will find the coloured tank cap are post war as far as i can remember red was for petrol and yellow was for diesel i also know that some bolts were painted red as in a split rim as not to be undone when inflated

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

As it's too cold & wet to venture out in the garage and take a look, do the caps come-apart easily for plating?

Nieuwe pagina 1