Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question

e-bay- item # 190606619696

My question- isn't "correct type Stainless wing" supposed to be Brass wingnuts????
Sheesh..
How "correct" is that?

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Question

Hi Vincent,

You will not believe it but some people on this forum replace al their nuts and bolts on their bikes for stainless steel.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Maybe a question of gramar? "Correct type stainless wing" is not the same as "correct stainless wing"? I.e., the "type" is "correct", not the material. In any event, caveat emptor.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Gramar? I always thought it to be grammar

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

My nuts and bolts will be around long after the human race has disappeared...Lovely, Lovely stainless...OOOH!...That'll be me then... ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Me too Ian! Shame on us! We'll never go to WD heaven. Ron.

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

You may get old Ron..but at least your nuts will be in pristine condition.. ...Ian

just don't combine stainless with aluminiumunuunumunmun. As that will cause a chemical reaction.

email (option): kschaank@hotmail.com

Hi Koen..Theoretically...All my bikes have stainless fasteners.. into aluminium in the engine, gearbox, brake plates on some, forks etc. etc.
My B33 has been like this for over 30 years and the WD M20 for nearly 30 years. They have been ridden in all weathers...and none of them have suffered from significant corrosion of, or around, the fasteners...
I know the theory..and I know from experience it is a problem on boats exposed regularly to salt water that enables and promotes the galvanic reaction. ..but I have never found it problematical on bikes...Ian

One of the firms that I get my stainless fasteners from suggests that you should always use oil or Loktite on assembly. Ron

Is there a mail order fastener supplier you'd recommend?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

I'm with Ian on the practical use on motorcycles. I've also been using it for thirty-odd years and never had a corrosion problem. I do usually wipe a copper-slippery finger over the fastener.

If (when ?) I dismantle my Commando, the threads are always like new. It's a joy to work on and it always comes as an unpleasant reminder if I have to work on a machine with corroded cad-plated fasteners.

Does anyone else recall the anaerobic rotting fish smell that used to come when dismamtling Japanese engines in the 1970s ? (Maybe they still do, I haven't touched one since).

In terms of quality and finish, I find Middleton very good.

http://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/

Ian and Ron will tell you that I'm not a great fan of the idea of stainless on WD bikes but there are fittings on theirs that have fooled me. Done properly, it can look good. (It robs the bike of its soul though ! )

Yes it is Dave Middleton that I get most of mine from.
Not cheap though!

The saying goes something like "The quality is still present long after the cost is forgotten"

Rik, a Commando has no soul then?

Ron

As you say Ron, Middleton has never been cheap but you get nicely machined fittings with no lettering etc and the correct radii for a period look.

Of course a Commando has soul, Ron...a brash, show-offy, noisy anti-social soul - stainless enhances it perfectly !

BLING !

Photobucket

Very Nice Rik...I always thought that paint scheme was the best looking one..If there is one thing that strikes me about most modern bikes it is that they have forgotten how to make a nice looking engine..most of them look like they came out of a car and should be hidden away....Ian

Rob: touché(or is it "touchéé"?)

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Was the smell CDS plating I always thought it was the wierd alloy.
I can't even look at an M6 pan head pozi without sweating.
Cheers Pat

1981 to 2011..no rust?..I couldn't improve on that example of the argument for, and logic of, using stainless fasteners...particularly if the alternative is Zinc plating and not cadmium. Zinc plating isn't standard either, doesn't look as much like cadmium as blasted stainles and won't last through one winter..never mind 30!....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1