Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brass outer-edge on speedo

With my bike-building funds being sapped by the family, especially-so with Christmas around the corner, I'm thinking of making my speedo look a bit more authentic by plating the outer chrome ring in brass (or a brass-like plate...) Is it possible to remove it without breaking anything else? I need to re-glue the face anyway as it likes to spin around wildily when the mood takes it, so I need to dismantle it anyway and thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone is the thing comes apart?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Brass outer-edge on speedo

The face is secured with two or four screws. Make sure they aren't still dangling around in the works.Surely the brass was painted anyway?

Hi Lee..There was a recent posting on removing the speedo bezel...try searching the previous posts using 'speedo' or similar as a search word.
Assuming you have a 'civvy' speedo, once you have got the bezel off you should be able to carefully emery the chrome off it..or take it to a platers to get it stripped. The base material under the chrome is brass.
You will notice that the upper edge of the bezel is formed into a sharp edge, or point. This is where the civvy one differs from the military one visually. By removing the plating and carefully filing and reshaping this edge into something more like the radiused edge of the military speedo you will achieve a more authentic appearance...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Early war speedos (on Nortons at least) were ridged civilian type finished in dull chrome. I haven't pinned a cut-off date yet - it might be the change from the Jaeger-drive type.

Malcomn Leech has repro WD type bezels available.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Thanks all.

Have you got contact info for Malcolm Leech?

Hi Lee, Malcomn Leech- 0121 559 7306.
Mick.

Thanks Mick

Hey Mick,

For those of us in the States, how do we contact him?

Has he an email address or web site?

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Robb,

Are you so far ahead of us Europeans that a telephone is obsolete and unfit for use.

email (option): Leonhop3@planet.nl

is Malcolm Leech the chap that has a stall offering recon speedos at Kempton jumble?

Hi Guys, Malcomn does most of his trading via the jumbles, so most likely to be him at Kempton. Robb, I think you will have to resort to the phone to get hold of him.
Cheers, mick.

Nieuwe pagina 1